Bounced mails from <> to non-existing local users

YMTan

Verified User
I am using SpamBlocker 3.2.6-RC at the moment. I am hoping to combat the daily problem that a lot of bounced messages were sent back to our server's non-existing users and queued in the server.

I was thinking if it is possible for SpamBlocker to check if the recipient is a valid local user. If not, reject the incoming email. In this case, the bounced message will not be able to reach and queue in the server.

Sometimes, the queued message can be a few hundreds.

Thanks in advance.

Is it not doing this now? I thought it was. I'm not sure how to test mail from an empty sender. Anyone?

Note I've been delayed in bringing out the final RC by system issues at our office (not our servers). So I do want to fix this, and help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff

Let me elaborate a bit of the situation I faced.

Everyday, I found many emails appearing as empty sender <> in DA Mail Administrator page, and the recipients are non-existing email address (e.g [email protected]) of domains in my server.

When checking the contents, it appears like bounced mail from remote server, stating the "non-existing user" from my domain had sent them an undeliverable email.

So if SpamBlocker3 can check the recipient address, we can block these kind of bounced mails easily.

Recipient address checking won't disallow email from <> (the empty sender) because RFCs require these be accepted.

I thought I'd fixed that. Since I don't know how to test an empty sender using exim -bh, I'm not sure how to test any fixes.

Anyone?

Jeff

Just curious -- if we opt not to follow RFC, is there any rule that we can add to SpamBlocker or exim.conf that allow the checking of recipient to be done earlier?

You can check to verify the recipient any time after you know the recipient (see: acl_check_recipient).

Jeff

Back