Reseller static IP for digital cert/reverse DNS?

kirsir

Verified User
Hi,

We're a reseller and have clients (users) needing to use a digital certificate and email AOL users. Our clients cannot do these things because we do not have a static IP (for the certificate, and to set a reverse DNS to email AOL). We just have shared which SSL won't work with and with which AOL blocks.

How can we as resellers get a static IP to use? Somebody suggested we need a dedicated server but those cost like $400/month and we're a small operation. I can't believe that all these e-commerce stores out there (like our clients) have to purchase a dedicated server just to use a digital cert and
SSL. Can't we just buy a static IP or do I have this entire process wrong?

Thanks!

kirsir said:
Hi,

We're a reseller and have clients (users) needing to use a digital certificate and email AOL users. Our clients cannot do these things because we do not have a static IP (for the certificate, and to set a reverse DNS to email AOL). We just have shared which SSL won't work with and with which AOL blocks.

How can we as resellers get a static IP to use? Somebody suggested we need a dedicated

Hi,

I'm not quite sure I understand why you would need an SSL certificate to e-mail AOL users, but as for the dedicated IP issue, it's actually up to the admin who you bought the reseller package from to sell you a static IP, most of the admins usually will for an extra price. There is no need to a dedicated server for this.

Erik

kirsir said:
First let's break out your needs.

First let's consider the "static" IP#.

You haven't posted your domain name, so we have no idea of your IP#. But it's most likely a static IP#, as if it were a dynamic IP# (the choices are between dynamic and static) your DNS would stop working whenever the dynamic IP# changed. So it's probably a static IP#, and you're probably confusing the term with "dedicated IP#", which I'll address later, below.

Next, let's address the issue of AOL and reverse DNS first.

If the IP# your mailserver uses doesn't have reverse DNS set up for it, then only the company you get your reseller account can help you. It's got nothing to do with whether or not the IP# is shared. In fact, even if you do get a dedicated IP#, your email will still look to AOL as if it's coming from the shared IP# for the server, so that IP# has to have reverse DNS set up for it.

And only the company you get your reseller account from can help you with it.
How can we as resellers get a static IP to use?
I'm quite sure you're writing not about a static IP#, but about a dedicated IP#. You have to get this from the company you get your reseller account from them.
Somebody suggested we need a dedicated server but those cost like $400/month and we're a small operation.
Actually you can get a dedicated server for under us$100/month, but you don't need one.

If the company you get your account from can't get you a dedicated IP#, you should find a reseller who can. We allow unlimited dedicated IP#s to our resellers, at no extra charge, with justification. That "with justification" means there has to be a reason for it, and the two reasons we allow it for are an SSL Cert (that's the "digital cert" you're writing about) and for anonymous FTP. I'm sure other hosting providers offer the same for their reseller accounts.
I can't believe that all these e-commerce stores out there (like our clients) have to purchase a dedicated server just to use a digital cert and
SSL.
They don't. What they need is to buy their account from a provider who can offer them a dedicated IP#. And you can't offer them one unless you get your reseller account from someone who offers it to you.
Can't we just buy a static IP or do I have this entire process wrong?
You're right (except for your misuse of the term "static" vs "dedicated").

But if you ask your hosting company and they don't offer dedicated IP#s and reverse DNS, then you need to find a hosting company who can.

Jeff

Back