New domains not resolving

RTKS

Verified User
I have a very strange DNS issue going on here...

I created 4 new domains within DA...really 1 new domain and 3 pointers. I have checked the DNS info for all and they look good.

Most of the world can get to the domains but I can't...I'm using Earthlink DNS servers.

When I do an NSLOOKUP and switch to one of my DNS servers I can resolve all other domains but these four.

I have tried rebooting...tried it without the firewall (KISS)...tried restarting named...nothing helps. It would seem maybe DNS got cached at some point and that's why others can get to it.

But why can't I? Why when I use NSLOOKUP directed to the server hosting DNS does it say it can't find the domain?

Is there a limit on domain names within DA? The domains that aren't resoliving are 17 and 18 characters each.

A bit more info

If I actually get onto the server and do an NSLOOKUP it will return the information...also I do have one domain on the server longer than 18 characters and it is working so I guess that's not it.

On an off chance I tried deleting the pointer that's not working...recreated it and it's still not working.

Yeah...but even if I hadn't doing an NSLOOKUP with the primary DNS server as the target should return the domain info...

Since you're not telling us the domain names there's nothing we can look up to help you.

So may I suggest DNS Report if you want to try to figure out the problem on your own.

Jeff

This morning they started working for me AND NSLOOKUP using the name server worked.

So I guess my question is this, if you use NSLOOKUP and specify the nameserver to be your server, why does it not return the results right away? Seems there was a good 48 hour lag.

You don't say what kind of system you're using to run nslookup.

That said, your nameserver probably was checking the rootservers to see where to look up your domain, and the answers probably hadn't resolved across the DNS space until today.

If you have access to a unix, linux, or OSX box, use dig instead of nslookup. The messages it will give you will show you exactly what's happening.

Jeff

Was using WinXP to do my nslookup but had issued a server statement to point to my DNS server. I was just surprised that when using my DNS server to do the lookup it didn't report back until DNS had gone through the whole net...

The advantage of DIG is it will tell you what it used as the authority.

Most DNS gurus admit there are plenty of good reasons to use dig instead of nslookup; you might do some googling to see if there's a version of dig available for MS platforms.

Jeff

Back