Couple more questions

bonnmac

Verified User
I'm used to Ensim & cPanel and things have to be installed specifically for those cp's or things break.

I like to have a firewall installed and on my other servers have installed APF will this break anything? And what ports do I need to have open for everything to work?

Then I usually like to install Mailscanner + Clam Antivirus + SpamAssassin. Will this break anything?

How about Sim? It restarts process that have shut down. Any need for this or does DA do this?

Now for rpms like imagemagick and GD Library and all that good stuff. Any specific ones we're supposed to use? Or are the ones from rpmfind for our linux distribution okay to use?

I think that's it for now. But I'm sure I'll think of other things to ask. :)

Hello again,

You can run a firewall on the server as long it meets these requirments:

ports to be opened:

20 ftp data
21 proftpd
23 sshd
25 smtp
53 nameserver
80 apache
110 pop3
143 imap (not used at the momment, but eventually)
443 apache secure
2222 DirectAdmin

I think those are all of them.

Youl also have to make sure that DirectAdmin can get out, as it makes an outgoing connection to our server to:
1) get current available version #
2) update license
3) update software

You are free to configure exim however you wish, you should always make a backup of any custom configuration files you do, as we may overwrite them if/when we add new features.

And you may use any additional rpms you wish, only if they don't affect the libraries that DirectAdmin uses... these are very basic ones such as libssl, libcrypt, libstdc++ etc.. chances are, they won't break anything, but there are far too many variables to be sure on that.

John

last & final question for today. I need my php to be compiled with these options.

'./configure' 'i386-redhat-linux' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--prefix=/usr' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--enable-force-cgi-redirect' '--disable-debug' '--enable-pic' '--disable-rpath' '--enable-inline-optimization' '--with-bz2' '--with-db3' '--with-curl' '--with-dom=/usr' '--with-exec-dir=/usr/bin' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-gd' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--with-ttf' '--with-gdbm' '--with-gettext=shared' '--with-ncurses' '--with-gmp' '--with-iconv' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' '--with-mm' '--with-openssl' '--with-png' '--with-pspell' '--with-regex=system' '--with-xml' '--with-expat-dir=/usr' '--enable-xslt=shared' '--with-xslt-sablot=shared,/usr' '--with-zlib' '--with-layout=GNU' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-debugger' '--enable-exif' '--with-pear=/usr/share/pear' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-safe-mode' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-discard-path' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-trans-sid' '--enable-yp' '--enable-wddx' '--without-oci8' '--with-imap=shared' '--with-imap-ssl' '--with-mcrypt=shared' '--with-mhash=shared' '--with-kerberos=/usr/kerberos' '--with-ldap=shared' '--enable-sysvsem=shared' '--enable-sysvshm=shared' '--enable-ftp=shared' '--with-mysql=shared,/usr' '--with-pgsql=shared' '--with-snmp=shared,/usr' '--with-snmp=shared' '--enable-ucd-snmp-hack' '--with-unixODBC=shared' '--enable-memory-limit' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-shmop' '--enable-versioning' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-dbx' '--enable-dio' '--enable-mbstring' '--with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs'

Again cPanel and ensim have rpms that compile things this way for me. So I'm kinda at a loss on how to recompile php with these options. Is there an easy way with DA or should I start reading up on php?

Thanks and I promise I won't ask you anymore questions today. :)

Hello yet again,

the easiest way would be to edit the file:

/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/php.sh

and change the ./configure line to match your own.

Then run ./php.sh and it will *try* to compile what you've told it. It will be up to you to ensure that everything you are asking it to inlude is available.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
21 proftpd
22 sshd
25 smtp
53 nameserver
80 apache
110 pop3
143 imap (not used at the momment, but eventually)
443 apache secure
2222 DirectAdmin

If memory serves me correctly DNS runs on 53 TCP/UDP.. Also it can be a good idea to open port 20 for FTP, as some servers need the legacy support for a data and control port..

Yes, thanks for the correction Prohacker, I'll edit the post above to ensure people use the correct information. :)

John

we always keep port 23 closed, and disbale telnet completely due to the security.

Does DA have telnet enabled by any chance?

Chris

shows that the DirectAdmin Developers (DAD :p ) have though about security aswell :)

Chris

Back