Server monitoring - Linux Redhat SMS?

etegration

Verified User
any of you using any monitoring software on serverthat can provide SMS to handphone when certain things set hits threshold set by the admin? or when server goes down etc?

I'm not sure how the telcos do it in Signapore, but here in the U.S.A., the cellphone companies generally offer something similar to:

[email protected]

(warning: above is NOT a working address)

as an email interface to SMS.

So we just make sure to craft a message without too much in the way of headers, and about 100 chars, to go to SMS that way using the email address.

Jeff

I ue Alertra (www.alertra.com) but if your good with php and have some free time (i have none of the latter) you can get an account at www.clickatell.com and only pay a tiny amount for the sms :)

I've been using clickatell a fairly long time and it is very fast, and the support is excelent.

jlasman said:
Ouch, they're expensive.

We're working on a similar service and when we're ready it'll be a lot less expensive.

Jeff

Very expensive, but works great :)

Its only like $25/month for me... considering the fees for the servers im monitoring are well over $350/month its not to bad. I wrote a small msn bot which turns messages from alertra into SMS so that saves money. But i really only do ping and 1 http monitoring.

That 1 http is a script which checks mail/web. If that web server is down i still get alerted ;)

They are also very reliable i think i get monitored from about 6 locations.

Since all the cell-phone and pager sms services I've run into here in the states work from email, I had planned on doing it entirely through email.

If anyone can point me to some good specs on SMS, or better yet, an open source program that does SMS directly, I'll be happy to look at it.

If you'd like to see my sms in action, send me an email (address below) and I'll send you my sms email address.

Jeff

I use webmin for monitoring

I use webmin for lots of things including monitoring services on the server. It will send a short notice to what ever email address you chose.

Webmin is free and even a lightweight admin like me can figure out how to use it so you all should have no probs what so ever.

After installing DA I don't do any actual changes through webmin any more but I am use to it [webmin] so I use it to take a peek at what da does behind the scenes. It has a file manager that will allow you to edit any file on the server. Much easier then the command line if you are not up on that sort of thing.

It also comes with a nice backup system and lot of other nifty stuff.
Robert
AVC Hosting

What if your server is down

How will webmin help you if your server is down?

Sure, when your server comes back up you'll get the email.

By then it's a bit late.

We've done external monitoring for some time now and will eventually offer it as a stand-alone service.

Jeff

Last edited:
Back