MSFrontPage Troubles

Bek

I know this is probably an old topic, but I couldn't find it... So, I'll just jump start it again.

Anywho, I'm *REALLY* new here. New as in, "Oh my God, what the hell have I gotten myself into." And, well, after readin' the help page thingie mebobber.... I can't seem to publish from frontpage to my site.

I followed all the directions, changed the status from Disabled to Enabled in the Admin thingie, and when I went to "Publish To Web" from frontpage, it keeps tellin' me that the Frontpage installer is not enabled.

Can someone please help me on this? Cos, seriously, I'm goin' totally mental tryin' to figure it out.

Much Thanks.

Bek

Are you an end-user, a reseller, or an administrator (system owner) ?

If you're an end-user you'll need to get help from the company you buy hosting from.

If you're a reseller then you'll need to get help from the company you bought your reseller account from.

If you're an admin, then we need more information:

1) what version of DA are you running?
2) what OS are you running?

Jeff

I'm the admin... Ordered my package a couple days ago.

Okay, not sure what OS means... but, I'm running DA version 1.22.2...

If someone could explain what 'OS' is, I'd also be really grateful. I've actually never used this kind of system before.

I'm coming from a WYSIWYG back ground, and don't get me wrong, I know how to use frontpage, just can't figure out what the heck it is I'm doing wrong....

Bek

OS means Operating System.

Linux ? Which version ?

FreeBSD ? Which version ?

Exactly what error message do you get when you try to publish?

(If possible cut and paste it here; if not, copy it word for word here.)

Not that I'm a Front Page guru, but perhaps we can find someone who is, if you give us enough info.

Jeff

Okay, I'm with Linux. Ultra Web Linux UL2C10M1 was the package I ordered, it said it included MSFrontPage

And the Error message I keep getting is:

Unable to open "http://angel.virtualserverhost.com/~novabek/."

Server Error: The web server at "http://angel.virtualserverhost.com" does not appear to have the FrontPage server extensions installed.

Possible Causes:
1. The web server may not have the FrontPage Server Extensions installed.

2. The web server may temporarily be out of service.

3. If you are connecting through a proxy server, the proxy server settings may be inncorrect.

4. An error may have occured in the web server

If this server does not support the FrontPage Server Extensions, FrontPage may still be able to publish to the server via FTP.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've tried everything including typing my domain name in and I still get the same thing. I checked my DA control panel and it says I have the FrontPage Extensions enabled.

Now, I'm really new to FTP and have no clue on how it works or what it actually is. So far, the only thing I've been able to manage to figure out is how to get my php script installed for a fiction archive, and even now I'm stuck because I can't figure out how to add things to it.

So, if anyone could please tell me what I'm doing wrong, or explain to me what my problem is, I would be eternally grateful.

Bek

Bek said:
Okay, I'm with Linux. Ultra Web Linux UL2C10M1 was the package I ordered, it said it included MSFrontPage
Did you order a whole server or a hosting package from netspaceinternet.com ?

When I asked you:
Are you an end-user, a reseller, or an administrator (system owner) ?
You responded:
I'm the admin... Ordered my package a couple days ago.
which indicates that you're the administrator of a DirectAdmin server, with root access. Yet you also said (in your last post to the thread):
UL2C10M1 was the package I ordered.
Based on that, it appears that you're a webhosting user of netspaceinternet.com.

If in fact you are the owner of netspaceinternet.com, or I've somehow got it wrong, and you're renting or own a server with DirectAdmin, and root access, then yes, you're in way over your head, and probably need a server administrator to help you get your business off the ground.

But if I'm right, and you're a domain user who bought a domain hosting package from netspaceinternet.com, then you should always attempt to get service from the company you buy hosting from, as none of us here have any control over that company, or can do anything about your customer support issues.

And since all of us here are in the hosting business, we're all going to tell you to host with us instead :) .
And the Error message I keep getting is:
Unable to open "http://angel.virtualserverhost.com/~novabek/."

Server Error: The web server at "http://angel.virtualserverhost.com" does not appear to have the FrontPage server extensions installed.
It looks like you're trying to upload using the server name before your own domain name propagates.

Front Page doesn't work that way; you have to wait until your domain name propagates and use FrontPage to upload to your domain name.

If you need further assistance with Front Page, well that's for another forum, you won't get lessons in Front Page here.

If you're a domain user hosting your own site, then you should be talking with your hosting company or switching to a hosting company that gives you the support you need.

(Don't expect much support for us$2 to $4.50 per month, which is what your account sells for.)

If you're the system administrator of a new server running DirectAdmin, then based on your posts, my guess is you should really get a systems administrator to work for you until you learn enough to manage the system yourself.
Now, don't get me wrong, I've tried everything including typing my domain name in and I still get the same thing. I checked my DA control panel and it says I have the FrontPage Extensions enabled.
Has your domain name propagated yet?

(In other words what do you get when you type it into the browser?)
Now, I'm really new to FTP and have no clue on how it works or what it actually is. So far, the only thing I've been able to manage to figure out is how to get my php script installed for a fiction archive, and even now I'm stuck because I can't figure out how to add things to it.
You can't mix ftp and Front Page Extensions on the same domain; if you've tried that, that may be causing you a problem. A site either is a Front Page site, or an ftp site. You cannot mix and match.
So, if anyone could please tell me what I'm doing wrong, or explain to me what my problem is, I would be eternally grateful.
My guess is it's one of the things I've mentioned.

Jeff

Last edited:
frontpage

You also might want to try putting the www in front of the website. Sometimes that will help if your domain is already propagated.

Mark

Back