Has anyone tried running Webmin with DA

jdlitson

Verified User
Hi,
Does anyone have Webmin running on a server with Direct Admin?

Thanks for your time and help -Jason

Thanks for the fast reply :D

Did you do the install of Webmin using the RPMs?
Thanks again -Jason

i installed webmin in a tar but i'm sure a rpm won't hurt seeing i have installed some rpm via webmin and things seem to be running fine let's just say no complaints yet

Thanks for your help.
I will post my results here.

Best regards -Jason

Mind you.. It may work.. But if something messes up... John and Mark might not support it since there is a seperate control panel running on the server editing the configurations.. So if you go this route.. Be prepared......

We don't suggest installing alongside other control panels, but if you do, we won't be able to support *anything.* It might be worth a shot if your system has no users on it yet, and if you are comfortable with a reformat and/or reinstall if things don't work out.

Mark

I will wait till I get a test box, cause I just went live today and don't want to mess thing up.
If all goes well on a test box then I guess why not.
Webmins not a CP I would use to create new user accounts.
It would be more for making administration tasks a little easier. Thanks everyone for your feedback! -Jason

We don't have much choice right now if we want to administer spamassasin or postgresql.

Any module we should avoid at all costs?

DirectAdmin Sales said:
We don't suggest installing alongside other control panels, but if you do, we won't be able to support *anything.* It might be worth a shot if your system has no users on it yet, and if you are comfortable with a reformat and/or reinstall if things don't work out.
I think it's time to consider amending this thread; as I posted here, webmin is at least as safe as the command line with DirectAdmin, probably a bit safer in that it won't let you do certain things improperly.

Webmin, as a control panel, is fairly light-handed; it doesn't use any of it's own files and so has nothing to keep in synchronization with the OS.

So is DA, really. While DA does have some of it's own files, they generally neither impact, nor get impacted by, reasonable administration from the command line or reasonable administration by DirectAdmin.

I noticed that the response in this thread came from Mark, and not from John, and while I'm not trying to jam a wedge in between them, I'd like to see John's opinion on the subject.

About the only lthing I can see that's dangerous about webmin is that it might encourage you to try something you otherwise might not try to do.
Webmin alongside DA appears to be safe; the danger appears to be, as in working from the command-line, in making changes without thinking them out.

Jeff

We use Webmin with both Plesk and DirectAdmin servers....but make sure not to touch Apache with it. Just use it for managing custom permissions on Mysql databases and users...and that never caused any issues.

Q. Why do we use Webmin and not the mysql command line
A. Because its easy and doesn't require flushing privileges. Plus its hard to remember the Mysql root pwd on multiple machines. Yea...its noted down in records, but then have to fish for it everytime some user requests custom mysql permissions....Webmin works best for us.

Back