What is the difference between Custombuild 1.1 and 1.2?

Richard G

Verified User
I'm sure it will be stated somewhere but I looked several times and can't find it. Can anybody tell me what exactly is the difference between both custombuilds, except for the possibility to use php6 in custombuild 2?

Somebody lately ask me why I shouldn't use 1.2.
I thought 1.1 was more stable but it looks like both versions have the same apache 2.x and exim and stuff.
On the other hand, normally 1.1 will be installed by default on most servers. In the Netherlands at least when you ask for DA.

Are there reasons not to install 1.2? And what are the main differences between both of them?
Can both work as easy with mod_ruid and/or mod_ruid2?

The main difference is PHP6 support. PHP6 is not yet released, that's why CustomBuild 1.2 is beta. Everything else is stable. Other differences of CustomBuild 1.2:
* Exim support (./build exim). However, this feature may be backported to 1.1 soon.
* Default version of PHP is 5.3.
* Default version of MySQL is 5.1.

Thank you.
So people using php 5.2.x and mysql 5.0.x can better stay at 1.1 if I understand this correctly.

Both CustomBuild 1.1 and 1.2 support MySQL 5 and PHP 5. You can choose the version in the options.conf file. But if you need PHP4 functionality, stay with version 1.1.

Thank you for the explanation.
I presume mod_ruid and mod_ruid2 works the same on both versions.

Is it easy to upgrade to custombuild 1.2?
Is it just a ./build set custombuild 1.2 or something?

Or is it better/safer to do it another way?

Last question, is there any benefit (or something which makes life easyer) staying with 1.1 when you don't need php4 (which is end of life anyway)?

Yes, it is easy to upgrade it. The following is enough:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build set custombuild 1.2
./build update

mod_ruid works the same on both version, because configuration files are the same.

Benefit of staying with 1.1 - old versions support, no major changes. Everything what is on CB 1.1 should be supported for a long time, however, might be dropped from CB 1.2. E.g. defaults are not changed on CB 1.1, but CB 1.2 has PHP 5.3+MySQL 5.1 set by default, and will probably have MySQL 5.5 set by default when it gets released. PHP4 is EOL, PHP 5.2.15 marked the end of support for PHP 5.2 (the are no plans to drop 5.2 support from CB 1.2), MySQL 4.1 is EOL, however, you can be sure that they will be supported by CustomBuild 1.1.

Well I don't need to worry then because we already dropped mysql 4.x and php 4.x some time ago.

Thank you for your quick support and kind explanation!

Back