Directadmin 1.37.0 - Release Candidate 1

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

DirectAdmin 1.37.0 Release Candidate #1 is now ready for preliminary testing.

To get the RC1 package in pre-release form, login to your Clients Section

Click your license ID, and follow the pre-release download instructions.

Major Changes, features and bug fixes with this version:
http://www.directadmin.com/versions.php?version=1.370000

Note that manual action is required in order to convert ftp password files to a unified password file.
Without this conversion, the multi-IP system will be disabled.
It is recommended that everyone convert to the unified password format.

Note that the version in the RC1 binaries will remain "1.36.2".
You can tell you've got the new binaries by running directadmin with the "o" option to check the build date.
It should be somewhere around Dec 18th, or newer.
Code:
[root@server directadmin]# ./directadmin o
Compiled on 'Redhat CentOS 4.0'
Compile time: Dec 18 2010 at 23:36:14
[root@server directadmin]#
John

Hmmm....The SSL post scripts didn't make it. Is it an oversight or is it too complicated to add at this stage?

I've just thrown in that feature for you, but it's not in the current binaries. The next time I upload a new set, the scripts will be in.

John

This release is overdue, and with the unexpected list of the other issues (eg: proftpd , exim, pureftpd etc.. ) other optional things had to get pushed. They're still in the system staring at me, so I have not forgotten about them.

Once an estimated release date is known, all features for that release will be seen. There are other features in the system that are not yet linked to a specific version, but the current versions system doesn't have any way of easily seeing them without knowing that entry ID number (other than guessing)

John

Admin Level cronjob manager (SKINS)
Number of email deliveries in all stats
Temporary Additional Bandwidth
Pure-FTPD (BETA)

Outstanding release. Good jobs guys :)

Here is some feedback regarding that RC1
Email stats:
- I'd rather have a daily limit than a monthly one, because as soon as the user hits the limit, then he will get an alert every day. I'm at 12k already this month without doing anything special (no mailings).
- I would find it more useful to have per user limits. It would make it easier to quickly identify where the problem comes from

Multi-IPs:
- IP changes not added to the FTP vhost file

Last edited:
Here is some feedback regarding that RC1
Email stats:
- I'd rather have a daily limit than a monthly one, because as soon as the user hits the limit, then he will get an alert every day. I'm at 12k already this month without doing anything special (no mailings).
- I would find it more useful to have per user limits. It would make it easier to quickly identify where the problem comes from
A daily limit is needed indeed, and it must be possible to set a server-wide limit AND give some users a higher limit (so an user limit would be fine if there is a configurable default limit available).

A daily limit is needed indeed, and it must be possible to set a server-wide limit AND give some users a higher limit (so an user limit would be fine if there is a configurable default limit available).

I agree :)

should be added in admin-backup, settings section, a box for define the backup path?

I know can be already be changed for backup BUT not for restore...

Should be useful have a box where define one for both or both in differnt boxes.

Example:

I use crond weekly backup saving backups in /backup/admin_backups/
For restore the path stay /home/admin/admin_backups untill i edit /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/backup.conf

Should be nice, do this edit directly from panel.

Regards

The addip script hasn't been touched for a while... it wouldn't be specific to the 1.37.0 release.

In any case, check your shell to see what you're using:
Code:
ls -la /bin/sh
Most systems, /bin/sh is linked to /bin/bash.. but see what yours is set to.

John

On FreeBSD it's /bin/sh and bash is in /usr/local/bin/bash. There is no link.

Maybe the shebang should be changed to
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
?

Regarding the new proftpd template.
This doesn't need to be in the vhost, in can be put in the Global part of the config.
Code:
TLSEngine on
TLSLog /var/log/proftpd/proftpd.tls.log

I've just tried a recent snapshots and new IPs are still not added to /etc/proftpd.vhosts.conf.
The control panel tells me that the IP has been added and I can see it in the list though.

I ran DA in debug mode and only saw this:
Code:
TTL Override: Unable to read ./data/users/username/domains/domain.eu.conf : Unable to open ./data/users/username/domains/domain.eu.conf for reading.<br>
MimeTypes::readFile(): Unable to open /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/domains/domain1.com.handlers for reading
MimeTypes::readFile(): Unable to open /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/domains/domain2.com.handlers for reading
MimeTypes::readFile(): Unable to open /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/domains/domain3.com.mime.types for reading
MimeTypes::readFile(): Unable to open /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/domains/domain3.com.handlers for reading
domain.eu is an alias and I'm adding an IPv6. The user is already using the server's IPv4 IP.

I've tried with another account.
Swapping the main IPv6 IP gave me the message:
Ftp IPs successfully swapped
but, again, /etc/proftpd.vhosts.conf had not been touched, so the user wouldn't be able to log in.
There are similar error messages as above when running in debug mode.

Last edited:
Hello,

1) Regarding the TLS, thanks, I've swapped it into the <global> instead.

2) As for the multi-IP system, in order to use multiple IPs per User, the ftp account must be setup with the unified ftp password format. Which basically means all accounts are in the /etc/proftpd.passwd and the proftpd.vhosts.conf will no longer be used.

You are allowed to still use the non-unified format, but the catch is that you cannot use multiple IPs per User. The reason is because of the complexity of the whole thing with ftp (mentioned in other threads), and the resulting change mentioned here:
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1134

In any case, new installs will default to use unified_ftp_password_file=1 with the directadmin.conf template. All accounts are in /etc/proftpd.passwd and the proftpd.vhosts.conf is ignored (no need for user ftp.passwd files)

Nothing changes for existing systems as the internal default is 0.
However, with this value set to 0, then multi-ip system will be disabled.
Existing domains that were using the multi-IP system may need tweaking, and we apologize for taking it away, but if you really need it, simply enable the unified_ftp_password_file option, as it will be recommended. (it is also required if you want to use pure-ftpd)

This is why "action required" is mentioned. The Admin must chose between the unified ftp password file, or seperate ftp password files. The only gain with the seperate password files is that it allows for ftp login names with the @domain.com at the end. If you don't need that, then using the unified version is recommended.

John

Hello John,

It seems a lot more is lost than just the login difference. The biggest one being using the user's SSL certs.

Why can't we keep proftpd.vhosts.conf and use /etc/proftpd.passwd to get the authentication details?
It seems to work just fine when I'm manually adding domains to proftpd.vhosts.conf.

Cheers,

Olivier

Hmm.. I'd have to think about that one.
There would be nothing stopping you from still manually adding the VH's into the proftpd.vhosts.conf.. and since the SSL Cert has to be manually added anyway, manual additions would already have been made, so a few extra lines wouldn't hurt. DA won't be adding/removing anything in the proftpd.vhosts.conf with the unified option enabled, so manual changes are safe. They're also not required, so you would only need to add a VH if you want a custom user ssl certificate.

When it comes to automation of it, I'm not too sure how many people use ftp ssl certificates. But either way, a directadmin.conf flag to continue adding VH's to the proftpd.vhosts.conf could be looked at, but they all point to the proftpd.passwd with the unified option enabled.

John

Back