ln -sf /usr/sbin/mailwrapper /usr/sbin/sendmail

And this should be in /etc/mail/mailer.conf
Code:
sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/exim
send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/exim
mailq           /usr/local/sbin/exim -bp
newaliases      /usr/bin/true

I'm not opposed to this change.
What are the consequences of doing the way we've been doing it?

John

I'm not opposed to this change.
What are the consequences of doing the way we've been doing it?

John

Wow, this might be my first forum post. +1 for using /etc/mail/mailer.conf instead of the symlink as has been suggested. When a system is rebuilt from source or freebsd-updated, the symlink is overwritten and sendmail becomes the MTA. When the change is in mailer.conf it's merged during the upgrade process. The only way around this is to disable building sending in the FreeBSD src.conf/make.conf but I doubt anybody is doing that. :) Here's what we use on our boxes, literally just replacing /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail with /usr/sbin/exim as exim is supposed to be a drop-in sendmail replacement. We've never seen an issue with this on hundreds of installs.

# $FreeBSD: stable/9/etc/mail/mailer.conf 93858 2002-04-05 04:25:14Z gshapiro $
#
#
sendmail /usr/sbin/exim
send-mail /usr/sbin/exim
mailq /usr/sbin/exim
newaliases /usr/sbin/exim
hoststat /usr/sbin/exim
purgestat /usr/sbin/exim

Exim certainly isn't a drop-in sendmail replacement; if it were it would use the same configuration options and use the same structure for everything, which it certainly doesn't.

While it can replace sendmail for almost everything it does have one issue: scripts that call sendmail won't find it without either a link or the mailer.conf setup.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Jeff

Back