Feeling alone and depressed due to arrogant techies

gabrieluk

Hi,
I'm a Direct Admin new user,as i choosed over cpanel.I'm really happy with DA.Fast,light weigth,doesn't eat much RAM,very intuitive...It's 10 better over cpanel.THANK YOU!!!
But,yes ,i'm feeling lonely and depressed....I'm ,by profession,an experienced designer.Hands on in Photoshop,Flash Fireworks,Dreamweaver etc...But due to the market of this days,i had to adapt myself to new technologies and start working with websites based in php.I've been very happy,cause i started working with Drupal.Drupal is very nice,and with a bit of effort you can get a professional site up and running.I've been working this way for about a couple of years now,but always in shared hosting enviroments with cpanel.
Now,for the first time,it raised the need for a VPS,as one of my sites is getting more hits.So ,i decided to hire a managed VPS with a control panel,to make less changes as possible.Now is where the depression starts...
Drupal,in a VPS,can be dramatically increase in speed by a combination of software in the server.
mod_php,APC and Varnish
So,obviouslly,i went that route,as is the best config. i could get for Drupal.But then started the problems...I'm having issues of 503 errors,not sure if it's with Varnish or what..
So,i started to go to specif Irc channels to get help...Then my depression started..I'm in the middlle of a war!!!I went first to Drupal and Pressflow irc,tooo bad ,my operational system is Centos 5.5 by default in the host,and i cannot change it.I heard from them:"sorry,I am an anti-centos person,I cannot help you..."Damn Debianers lol :).So i decided to go to Centos irc channel,hoping that i would be treated as a fellow user.More dissapointment and depression.I started describing the issue for them,and they were nice at the beginning,but at a certain point he asked me:"Do you have any firewall app on?"Then i said:"Yes.I have CSF on.
Then it was all over.Sudennlly the guy say:"errr...are u using any sort of cpanel?Then i answered:"Yes"Then the guy said:"web control panel users are not welcome here"Then i was ignored...
OMG!!!!Do i have to be crucified just because i'm using DA?!?!?!?!??!!!!!Also,for you linux folks?i know u guys support different systems...(redhat and debian),but cmon!!!It's all linux in the end!!
Is there a place on the internet for people like me?In the middle of the process?Not a total dumb,that cannot acess SSH,neither a Linux pro,that can just avoid DA?Is there such a place?

I've deleted the flame-war. Both of you who fanned the flames, please note that you've been warned that flame-wars are not tolerated on DirectAdmin forums.

I've also retitled the thread; I believe the word racist to be inflamatory, so I replaced it with arrogant, which is a description I often use in similar situations (I've had similar experience to yours). That's a personal opinion; please feel free to bring it to the attention of Staff if you disagree with me.

May I suggest, however, a few things, written in the spirit of helping you get better support...

I don't think too many of us take the time to read one long paragraph. And I don't think too many of us care how experienced you are, or why you need help with Drupal, or any other issues, but only that you do.

So I'd suggest you might consider rewriting your post (you can delete this thread after you've created a new one, by clicking on edit, then checking delete).

Concentrate on the problems you're having and the help you're looking for. And give it a title something like Drupal help needed.

That might help you get help with your issues, and after you get it, will help others in the future who google for Drupal help.

But of course I leave that up to you.

Jeff

Hi,
I don't mind you replacing the word "racist" for "arrogant".Definition of racist:

rac·ism (rszm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

If you replace the word "race" for "Os" if fits perfectly well.lol...My purpose with this post was not get help for Drupal.I was in first place in need of a neutral place to "cry" a bit,lol.And in second,i was looking for people like me,that suffered the same injuries,so we could get togheter,and perhaps open a new Forum in the net with the title:"Go away dang Techy" lol.But don't get me wrong,i'm not against techies,I'm becomming one myself!The point is,how far it goes the human "arrogance" and "stupidity" when dealing with another "races"?
Nevermind...I'm sorry if my post maybe hurts some techy feellings,and a flame-war was raised,i don't mean that.This was more a relief,than a help request.My next posts in this forum will be more objective,even because i have my Pressflow Varnish site up and running..(30k daily hits...wow)

Thanks for the clarification. I've had a very similar experience a bunch of years ago on the FreeBSD forum, and that's one of the reasons I'm now almost wholly on linux.

I ran a local ISP on a commercial BSD product, BSD-OS. Good product. But the company was sold, and the product was going away. So I was looking for a replacement. Ran into quite a bit of arrogance on the FreeBSD mailing list when asking questions. So I moved to Linux and I haven't looked back until now.

I say until now because I'm probably going to build my next router (expanding in datacenter) in OpenBSD; it seems to be a good OS for systems with years of uptime.

Jeff

Back