"yum update" or "./build update"

pinotje

Verified User
Hi all,

I'm running DirectAdmin v1.37.0 on CentOS 5.

Which is the best method to update software like mysql, php, ssh, etc.?
Is it "yum update"-method or using the custombuild-method (./build update) ?

Thanks in advance.

Which is the best method to update software like mysql, php, ssh, etc.?
Is it "yum update"-method or using the custombuild-method (./build update) ?
If something is installed from RPMs, then you should generqally use YUM to update it; if it's installed by CustomBuild, then you should use CustomBuild to update it.

Your /etc/yum.conf file should have the following line:
Code:
exclude=bind-chroot httpd* mysql* php* perl* apache* mod_* MySQL* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* da_*
If it does, then you can't use yum to update anything listed in this line.

Additionally yum update won't update anything not already installed, but, for example, yum update PROGRAM will install PROGRAM if it's not already installed.

Of the programs you've listed, on my servers ssh is managed by YUM while the others are managed by CustomBuild.

Jeff

Hi jlasman ,
which command i need to run for chech if there any update for kernel?
thank you

Thank you zEitEr ,
Once again you proved to me that you fast and professional!
You are right man,
Must search and reading (I read and search)
But first I need a helping hand so that I can stand on my feet.
There are lots of things that i did without ask in the forum,,But there are things I can not do without having to seek advice, i do not want to get disaster!
I'm sure you even though you're search, and read, sometimes you asked!
Thank you for your patience :)

Note that this response presumes Linux. I don't have enough experience with FreeBSD to write about it authoritatively.

Over the years it's been recommended to never accept an automatic kernel update because if the new kernel won't run on your server (for example if a driver required by your hardware isn't compatible) your system could be down and you might have to make a trip to the datacenter to fix it.

However, over time kernels have become well standardized, and if you're using a major Linux distribution (most of us are, on our DirectAdmin-based servers), and the standard kernel installed on your server without additional drivers, the updates will work. So you can remove kernel references from your exclude list but at your own peril.

YUM kernel updates will install the new kernel, and will update the server startup scripts, generally either GRUB or LILO) (for an unerstanding of how linux boots, look here [ibm.com]). The kernel itself won't run until/unless the server is rebooted, and if it won't start a datacenter trip may be necessary to edit the GRUB or LILO configuration if you don't have remote keyboard/monitor to your server.

Jeff

Back