Php 5

l0rdphi1

Verified User
FYI PHP 5 was just released.. hopefully DA will support this soon ;)

(Note: two lines in DA's httpd.conf will need changed, since PHP5 uses a different mod_php than php4 does. here)

Phi1.

Last edited:
Yeah, me too. I've been using PHP5 on other servers since the RC versions. It's really great it you program PHP. Better XML support, error handling, along with new Class exceptions.

I really hope DA supports it soon.:)

I wouldn't upgrade to php5 on a production server until it had been released for a few weeks. Do you really want to be the one to discover a security hole?

blacknight said:
I wouldn't upgrade to php5 on a production server until it had been released for a few weeks. Do you really want to be the one to discover a security hole?
Hosts have already been using the RC versions on servers, with no problem. And I highly doubt it will cause any problems. It hasn't been widely used for months in testing for nothing.
But still if DA supported it, it doesn't mean you are forced to upgrade.

Last edited:
DJ_Max said:
Hosts have already been using the RC versions on servers, with no problem. And I highly doubt it will cause any problems. It hasn't been widely used for months in testing for nothing.

I think you're missing my point.

Put it this way. Windows is the most common desktop OS. Was the first release of any version stable and secure?

PHP if used intelligently is great, but a lot of idiots code badly using it and it is the hosting provider who pays the price. If people wait a while until it stabilises I'm sure it will be fine, but running around to get the "bleeding edge" is not my way of conducting business.

blacknight said:
I think you're missing my point.

Put it this way. Windows is the most common desktop OS. Was the first release of any version stable and secure?

PHP if used intelligently is great, but a lot of idiots code badly using it and it is the hosting provider who pays the price. If people wait a while until it stabilises I'm sure it will be fine, but running around to get the "bleeding edge" is not my way of conducting business.
I get your point. But if DA supports PHP5, you will NOT have to upgrade. I was just making a suggestion.

Also, Windows has other issues. :eek:

PHP if used intelligently is great, but a lot of idiots code badly using it and it is the hosting provider who pays the price.
Sad, but so true.

Last edited:
The real issue to consider is this:

Are there any changes between PHP 4 and PHP 5 that would make our clients' scripts cease to operate properly?

If so, then we can't upgrade to PHP 5 until our clients have had an opportunity to rewrite their programs.

Jeff

Jeff

That's a very relevant point. If you think of the number of sites that "broke" once register_globals was switched off .......

l0rdphi1 said:
PHP5 has made every possible effort to preserve portability from PHP4.

However, there is a small list of collision areas. An outline of such can be found here: http://www.zend.com/php5/articles/engine2-php5-changes.php

Again, there is not many, but it's worth a good look over before upgrading your servers.

Yeah, The only way i could see you having problems, is by default, PHP5 has long arrays set to OFF. So $HTTP_POST_VARS, $HTTP_GET_VARS, $HTTP_SERVER_VARS, etc.. won't work. Unless you go into the php.ini and set it to ON.

But for the most part, ever since RC versions, scripts like phpBB have gotten around this, and still have support for PHP3, as thats the only reason some scripts still use long arrays.

All these posts I see make valid points, but what this thread about was DA having support for PHP5. If you do not want to upgrade, DON'T. Let the few people who want to upgrade. As I could care less if you want to upgrade or not.
:eek:

Last edited:
DJ_Max said:
All these posts I see make valid points, but what this thread about was DA having support for PHP5. If you do not want to upgrade, DON'T. Let the few people who want to upgrade. As I could care less if you want to upgrade or not.
This thread was an announcement that PHP5 was out.

Everyone on these forums may not have the same level of knowledge you do.

It made no mention of incompatibilities, including the incompatibility with Installatron, a product designed for DA.

So are you suggesting that I should have:

(a) created another post and another thread?

(b) expected everyone would figure out for themselves that some of their own scripts, some scripts they'd bought, and some scripts their customers had used, would no longer work

or

(c) just gone on my merry way, not updating for a while, and letting a lot of other hosts lose business when their clients; scripts, and in some cases their own, no longer worked?

I consider these forums a venue for a DA self-help community, and I consider this thread the appropriate place to point out that there might be some incompatibilities. If you think otherwise, please bring it to the attention of DA staff using the "Report this Post" button, so we can get the purposes of this forum cleared up.

Thanks.

Jeff

Well I thought that since this was in the Version Updates forum, and the thread started was posting how to install PHP he wanted DA to think about it.

If there was a thread to talk about PHP5, it should be in the 'DirectAdmin General Discussion' or 'MySQL / PHP'.

Wiether or not you should make another thread, I think this thread is fine now, unless it gets too long and have to be moved.
I just said that because I felt that some people were taking this thread to seriously, it was just a suggestion. This place isn't for posting if or when you want to upgrade(at least I don't think).

Hello,

I'm just after -support- for PHP 5. I probably should have been clearer, but this is more what I'm after:
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3981

That is, you can use PHP 5 if you like, but you're in no way forced to do so.

And again as Jeff noted: Installatron is not compatible with PHP 5. We're waiting for ionCube to release a PHP 5 loader, and that ETA is set for "later this year."

Phi1.

I would like to add my vote to update DA to PHP5 asap. My host is holding back for the update of DA before installing it on his servers.

I'm just getting into OOP and have found that I really like the new OOP features in PHP5.

Again, my vote to upgrade asap! :D

I do not think this is going to happen any time soon.

Here's why:

1/ Apparently the PHP4 and PHP5 Apache modules cannot run side-by-side. Of course, you can configure one to run as CGI and the other CLI, or you can use two instances of Apache, but neither of those methods are very appealing to me personally.

2/ A lot of scripts (Gallery, for instance) are VERY incompatible with PHP5.

Once the PHP 4 and 5 Apache modules can run side-by-side (if ever), I'll put a how-to together on how to get it set up.

Phi1.

I would think PHP 5 is backward compatible. Maybe not at standard installation, but through the php.ini. If DA or users would make a php.ini that forces PHP 5 to use long arrays and other disabled functions that were available in PHP 4, than an upgrade wouldn't be so hard.

fusionictnl said:
I would think PHP 5 is backward compatible. Maybe not at standard installation, but through the php.ini. If DA or users would make a php.ini that forces PHP 5 to use long arrays and other disabled functions that were available in PHP 4, than an upgrade wouldn't be so hard.

Is that even possible? If the binary doesn't support those features, putting the directives in the .ini wouldn't do anything. At least thats how most programs run.

One of our client's has requested that we setup a server for him with DirectAdmin AND php5. So far it is working, but there is a LOT of breakage :D
A lot of open source scripts will not work with php5 at all.
In a few months the bigger projects will probably release php5 compatible versions, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Back