Directadmin 1.38.0 - Release Candidate 2

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

DirectAdmin 1.38.0 Release Candidate #2 is now ready for testing (March 8th, 2011)
There are many significant changes to the DA code, such as:
- DA listening on IPv6 (on port 2222)
- Admin Backup/Transfer supporting backup options (choice as to what is included in the backup)
- commands.allow and commands.deny, for fine-grained control of what an account can run
- minutely check of email send counts for active spam monitoring (requires exim.pl update)

and many more.

Full list of changes, features and bug fixes:
http://www.directadmin.com/versions.php?version=1.380000

To get the RC2 package in pre-release form, login to your Clients Section
Click your license ID, and follow the pre-release download instructions.

Manual action is required in order to update the exim.pl file in order to use the minutely check of the email send count.

Note that the version in the RC2 binaries will remain "1.37.0".
You can tell you've got the new binaries by running directadmin with the "o" option to check the build date.
It should be somewhere around March 8th, or newer:
Code:
[root@server directadmin]# ./directadmin o
Compiled on 'Redhat CentOS 4.0'
Compile time: Mar  8 2011 at 02:14:21
Compiled with IPv6
[root@server directadmin]#
John

i dont have a client login any chance i can still get it? i get my license via my VPS Provider

- Nice touch to have a version number in exim.pl
- IPv6s are not added properly on FreeBSD (addip fails), so maybe a fix could make it into this version?
- Is ipv6_ipv4mapping really necessary? You mentioned Apache using tricks, but Proftpd is also able to use a tcp46 socket to accept connections of both types. All other services work by using both tcp4 and tcp6 sockets.
- It's great that users can now see both the number of sent and received emails separately, because spam was making the total number very large and users were confused.
- Process Monitor still doesn't return anything useful when doing a search
- Great news about the admin backup improvements. It will make it easier to sync data and save bandwidth and space while making sure all the settings can be restored.
- I wish we could add our custom file to the admin backups. There is an option for forwarders, but maybe we have dkim keys to include, etc.
- The unified password length management is great
- I'm happy that local FTP transfers are no longer counted in the users' bandwidth usage :).
- domain_create_post_confirmed.sh has been droped. Does that mean that domain_create_post.sh is now able to write to domain.conf? That was the main problem with the old binaries.

Edit:
There is still a problem with the password generator. The Javascript version doesn't include special characters, but those can be enabled in the PHP version. Maybe the settings page should include a tick box for that, just like the one for the password length.

Last edited:
Hello,

Send us an email if you don't have a login.
Include your client ID and license ID from:
Admin Level -> Licenses/Updates

@interfasys: I'll be going through your list later.

John

The "what" in existing admin backups cannot be modified.
I untick boxes and hit save and it still shows "All Data".

Hello,

There is also a radio box that must be selected:
"Selected Data"

If the "All Data" radio box remains selected, then the checkboxes will have no effect.

I wasn't able to duplicate the issue (it seems to work ok, even for old backups).
Anyone else noticing anything?

John

You're right, I expected "Selected data" to be automatically selected and didn't check. So it works, but maybe it would be worth adding a bit of JS to switch to "Selected data" when an user clicks on the custom settings?

i've actually sent an email to sales@da recently with a problem with my license! please reposnd to it asap!

Hello,

@Martyn Day: I'm sure Mark will reply to your email shortly, if not already. Also, if you're ever unsure if we're getting your emails, use the Safe Submit form. Requesting license help on the forum isn't quite the correct place, since it's a public forum which isn't roamed by the sales department.

@interfasys:

I've just found out why many table searches were not working correctly. Much of the data in the tables is html encoded, but the comparision was done using the plaintext search value. I've added into the table class double comparisions for both plaintext and html encoded values, so the results will likely be correct now.

For adding custom files into a user tar.gz backup, I've quickly added that in.

Checking the domain creation code, the domain.com.conf file is written before the domain_create_post.sh is called.
I did find out the previous issue though. There was a 2nd write of the conf files, thus the domain_create_post.sh was in the middle of 2 writes. The 2nd write wasn't needed, so I've just removed it (not yet in the pre-release bianries, but later today)

The ipv6_ipv4mapping on FreeBSD is required or else we'd have to do an overhaul to the socket system, and add a significant of complexity to the code, when it's not really needed. The other services that use "tricks" need them because they have very fine-grained control of the IPs (each IP does something different). With DA, all IPs are the same, so this level of control isn't needed. Also, to enable it, it's just one setting which is very simple. I also discovered that dovecot requires this setting to be enabled, if IPv6 is to be used. By default, our dovecot.conf only sets IPv4, but if IPv6 is turned on.. without the ipv6_ipv4mapping, then IPv4 won't work at all. The main reason is that all other OS's use ipv6_ipv4mapping already, so this brings FreeBSD to the same level.

John

Thank you for this update John.

Good news regarding the table searches, custom files and domain.conf :).

When doing a custom backup I've unticked the following:
- E-Mail Accounts. I'm archiving the folders via another mean
- Autoresponders. Not in use
- Vacation Messages. Not in use
- Mailing Lists. Not in use

In the archive, I can find:
email.conf
aliases

that's it.

I'm missing:
- quota
- passwd

So, is "E-Mail Accounts" a mix of configuration and data folders?

Regarding that rc.conf variable, I'm fine with it if it makes the DA code less complex ;), but in my experience Dovecot runs fine without it. I just did a netstat and can see a mix of IPv4 and IPv6 connected to it.

Note the passwd and quota files related to "E-Mail accounts", so if you unticked it.. you're not going to see those files, which is correct.

aliases is related to "Forwarders", thus it will be there with that enabled.

The email.conf related to /etc/virtual/domain.com/filter.conf (E-Mail Settings), which has settings for spam filters, email spam redirects, and some basic parts of the Spamassassin options (mainly for writing the /etc/virtual/domain.com/filter file)

------

For dovecot with IPv6, ensure you're testing with this dovecot.conf option:
listen = *, ::

as the default is just:
listen = *

and test with:
telnet 127.0.0.1 110
telnet ::1 110

When I ran:
telnet localhost 110

the 127.0.0.1 connect would fail, and it would immediately fallback to using ::1, so IPv4 wasn't working without the mapping enabled.
It still worked because of the fallback 2nd try on IPv6 (added a slight delay), but only out of luck with a redundant definition of localhost to both 4 and 6 in the /etc/hosts file.

Also, this only applies to FreeBSD.
Check to see what your mapping is currently set to:
/sbin/sysctl net.inet6.ip6.v6only

if it shows 0, then the mapping is on, which is what we want. If it's set to 1, then we'll have issues.

John

OK regarding the backups. Since I don't want any email data in the backup, I'm glad you've introduced the custom option, so that we can include all these files :).

Regarding the IPv6 issue. It's strange, because it works perfectly here.
listen = *,[::]
I have no problem telneting using both protocols
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot iS-edition ready.
quit
+OK Logging out
Connection closed by foreign host.

# telnet ::1 110
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot iS-edition ready.
quit
+OK Logging out
Connection closed by foreign host.

The entries in the log confirm it:
Mar 07 08:21:22 pop3-login: Info: Aborted login (no auth attempts): rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
Mar 07 08:21:31 pop3-login: Info: Aborted login (no auth attempts): rip=::1, lip=::1, secured

The mapping is disabled on my box:
# /sbin/sysctl net.inet6.ip6.v6only
net.inet6.ip6.v6only: 1

Hmm, strange. I'm not going to complain that it's working though ;)
But curious what your output is:
Code:
sockstat -l | grep direct | head -n1

Unfortunately, DA only listens on tcp4 without that setting ;) and it seems to be the only service that doesn't accept a connection on tcp6.
nobody directadmi 36380 0 tcp4 1.2.3.4:2222 *:*

I thought it was because you were doing some checks that would prevent it from opening a tcp6 socket.

I'm hoping that somebody else can provide some feedback. I'm wondering if there isn't another setting that allows it to work...

Hello,

1.38.0 Release Candidate 2 is available.
Fixed several bugs and added a few more features into the mix.
If you are testing things out, please ensure you have RC2 (compile date of March 8 or newer)

Main items for testing:
- IPv6: Connecting to DA, and ensuring IP addresses are showing up correctly in the logs (were previously showing up as 0.0.0.0)
- Backups/Restores with the new backup options, as well as the "skip if suspended" option.
- Saving of DNS zones in different situations, to ensure the named-zonecheck is working correctly.
- Advanced searches/filtering, and sorting in all tables.
- Adding IPv6 IPs into FreeBSD
- Subdomain Awstats
- commands.allow and commmands.deny
- the per-minute email send checker (new exim.pl required)

John

the per-minute email send checker (new exim.pl required)
I just did a test:
Sent one email from bob@domain1 to steve@domain1
Sent one email from bob@domain1 to roger@domain2

Hit refresh on the stats page: Nothing
I expected to see +1 since the internal message shouldn't count.

I'm using exim.pl v6 from last week.

Email stats are confusing.
If I'm not mistaken, "Received Emails" and "Sent Emails" are calculated monthly, but the limit is a daily one.

It would make more sense if "Sent Emails" could show the daily usage and if the limit could read 200/{translate: day}

The stats shown within DA are only updated within the tally. They're not real-time. The minutely checker is only scanning for /etc/virtutal/mail_task.queue, and that's only created if the usage goes over the limit (/etc/virtual/limit and /etc/virtual/usage/user).

I'll add in /day into the "max usage" column.
Note, the Bandwidth "Details" shows a daily breakdown of the email deliveries.

John

Back