how do you downgrade mysql 4.0 into 3.23??

wchost

Verified User
As title mentioned, because DA preinstalled MySQL is 4.0, i have a popular script that only runs 3.23

Would anybody able to give me full HOW-TO to do this job?
as I am not in expert in DA and SSH

While we're on this subject, how about updating the DA installer to use MySQL 4.0.14, as .12 has some nasty problems with table corruption.

l0rdphi1 said:
While we're on this subject, how about updating the DA installer to use MySQL 4.0.14, as .12 has some nasty problems with table corruption.

Nasty doesn't BEGIN to describe the horror or 4.0.12!
Anyone running a forum and getting corruptions on a semi-regular basis. Do not believe the crap about IDE hardrives causing the problem or anything else. Download grade to V3 and solve the nightmare. (haven't tried 4.0.14, still scared).

I heard the problems were fixed in the latter versions.. haven't checked the changelog though.

This seems to be out of the topic!

Can anybody teach me how to downgrade mySQL to 3.23?

Thanks

I'm wondering if this is the reason I'm havign a few problems with my phpauction script..

getting some errors that involve mysql..

Hello,

This is only for people who are comfortable with mysql, queries, and manually adding users and granting them privileges.

Before you try this, you'll definately need to backup *all* databases with relevant information in them, as mysql 4 has additions that mysql 3 doesn't have... so the database files probaly won't work anymore.

Also, I don't recommend this if you have many users who rely on mysql, as you probably will have quite a while of mysql downtime. This has not been tested, nor do I recommend doing it... and I've never done it :) .. so there is your warning... There might be a better way of doing it, but you have fingers, so give google a go and see if there is anything better.

If not, read on..

1) Go to mysql.com and get their server, client and devel rpm... although.. I'm not sure they have the 3.x there anymore... anyway, *find* the rpm versions you want.

2) *** backup all data *** ... you'll need to dump all the databases you want to preserve to sql files via phpMyAdmin, mysqldump, or the DirectAdmin backup tool.

3) remove old the old mysql:
rpm -e --nodeps MySQL-server
rpm -e --nodeps MySQL-client
rpm -e --nodeps MySQL-devel

(note that mysql might need to be typed as mysql-server, depending on what you have)

4) *after* you've backed up all databases, and double checked that the data is there, you need to then destroy the mysql database files currently there (I'm not sure what mysql 3 would do with the mysql 4 files... or even if anything has changed... so I can't say if this is actually required for your user databases, but it definately required for the "mysql" database).

rm -rf /var/lib/mysql

that will toast everything, so make sure that everything is backed up (you've dumped your databases).

5) take your 3 new rpms, and type

rpm -ivh mysql*.rpm

6) Restore all your data. You've have to add *all* the users back to the database manually, including the root user (set the password).. and the da_admin database user... (use the password in the /usr/local/directadmin/conf/mysql.conf file.. note that da_admin needs all privileges)

This is not a pretty way to do it.. but it shouldn't be too large of a task if you have a small server and only a few databases... If you have a large server, good luck :)

John

What about upgrading an existing mysql .12? I tried up2date mysql but that obviously doesn't work.

>_< I am so afraid to do it~
anyone can help?

$$$$

orelse i will jump out DirectAdmin >_< which is not nice~

DirectAdmin Support said:
6) Restore all your data. You've have to add *all* the users back to the database manually, including the root user (set the password).. and the da_admin database user... (use the password in the /usr/local/directadmin/conf/mysql.conf file.. note that da_admin needs all privileges)

This is not a pretty way to do it.. but it shouldn't be too large of a task if you have a small server and only a few databases... If you have a large server, good luck :)
John, I'm going to need a working mysql immediately as I'm building a new server. Do you know yet if .14 has solved the problems? If so can you either update to .14, or tell us how to do it?

If not, can you go into point 6 (quoted above) in a bit more detail. This is a new installation, and I've never administered MySQL on any level. What users must I create if I follow these instructions immediately after installing DA, and can you point me towards how to install them?

While I have a few good MySQL books, I need to know all the details of what users have to be installed and if there are any other problems.

I've got quite a few sites to move by the end of the month.

Is this a show-stopper, or not?

How can I make sure my forum-users will continue to have good results? What must I do for MySQL reliability?

Thanks.

Jeff

Yes, mysql 4.0.14 is in the new installs. And problems?... we'll if there were any problems with 4.0.12, they've probably been fixed for .14. I personally don't have time to see what the bugs other software packages are including, I just try keep what we distribute up to date. This thread was in reply to how to "downgrade" mysql.. not upgrade from .12 to .14... but seeing how you are installing on a clean server, by including .14, there shouldn't be any issue's whatsoever.

anyway... upgrading to 4.0.14 from 4.0.12 is extremely easy. Just download the 3 rpms from mysql.com, Server (not Max), Client and 'Libraries and header files', and run:

rpm -Uvh MySQL-*.rpm

We're running 4.0.12 for this forum and havn't had any problems...

A good practice for any site/server is to routinely create backups so that if anything does happen, you've got it ready to go again.

Sorry for being off topic ;) ... but I'm curious as to why the script is incapable of runing on a newer versions of mysql.. the only reason for that would be if it needs to make changes to the mysql database, which has undergone quite a few changes.

John

Personally I think the problem was largely due to the configuration setup by cp**** err the competition ;)

If These forums have been running for months with 4.0.12 with absolutely no database corruptions. Then I would not be concerned at all.

Back