installation at home possible?

wdieke

Verified User
hi All,

I was wondering if i could prepare my boxes at home before they go to the datacentre. I've tried to install DA but it does not get passed the "Connecting to www.directadmin.com[66.51.122.131]:443" and after that it just times out...

outbound traffic is not restricted so firewall could not be the problem.

Any hints?

DA doesn't care where your connection terminates; our testbed DA system runs from my home and was installed at my home, though our shared and dedicated servers run from the Level(3) Tier 1 colocation center in Tustin, California.

I don't install DA at home, but rather at the data center, because DA must install from the same IP# it will run on.

You don't say what kind of connection you have, but if you're installing DA from the same IP# you've purchased the license for, and it won't connect then you do have a firewall problem, whether inbound, outbound, from you or your provider.

Jeff

I figured it out with the setup.sh script. It needs to be on the license IP nummber indeed, becourse of the binding that goes on with getting the update.

So, my best guess would be to get an extra license file for the home install, then installing the machine, and at the datacentre switch licenses. Is this possible?

We have multiple licenses, and one which I use at home (a rental license so I'll always have support) on a testbed server.

But I've never changed a license on a running server.

If I didn't want to have an extra license at home, then what I'd do is my first installation at home, on the IP# at home, then have DA staff change the license to the new IP.

They won't mind it if you only do it occasionally.

I think we did it that way the first time.

Jeff

Well, im going to the datacentre this night to place the server and run the setup from there. Then see what happens :)

Back