Moving away from CentOS..

Dougy

Verified User
Being that CentOS is a fast sinking ship, I'm jumping ship and going to Debian I think.

Anyone else been having same thoughts as of late?

I have an Ubuntu server and it's working just great.
Haven't done a reboot for 7 months now.

And none kernel has ever been updated since then?

Unnecessary. I've logged into CentOS 3 machines still live and kicking LAMP machines that haven't been rebooted in 1200 days.. guess what.. still not hacked!

3 years without shutdowns and reboots? Isn't it caused by a fear that it would not start after reboot?

The bigger issue is that the server may decide to do an fsck (file system check) when you reboot it, and on huge drives it could take a long time.

Jeff

Yes you can. Should you? Do you want to risk your drive breaking without you knowing? I suppose it's not important if you've got SMART implemented to send you an email, but most of us don't.

Jeff

I think, I will move to Scientific Linux - it will be the most easy way, because all CentOS skills will not be lost.

Whats wrong with CentOS?

I just set up my servers for my new hosting company with CentOS .. was this a bad choice of OS?

I think it's still a good choice. For example, support for CentOS 5 doesn't expire until Mar 31, 2014, while Fedora. Once DirectAdmin approves DirectAdmin for Scientific Linux, it should be a good upgrade path. We're still building out new systems with CentOS.

Jerff

Switch

Just switched from Debian to CentOS cause got hacked regulary on Debian.

The CentOS calendar (centos.org) shows CentOS 6.0 should be ready by the end of this month. Just in time as we won't install any new servers running CentOS 5.x after this month; there's just not enough support time yet.

While I'd like to move towards Scientifc Linux (linuxforums.org) that of course will take support from DirectAdmin staff.

Jeff

I've recently downloaded SL template for OpenVZ and I'm really gonna try it out. I've never worked with that OS before.

Anyway, I don't complete understand the things you're talking here about. If DA moves from CentOS, does it mean that DA won't support the OS anymore?

With the exception of the /etc/redhat-release file contents, which may need to be changed, Programs developed for CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise, or Scientific Linux, should all work on any of the same distributions.

Should being the operative word.

Jeff

OK, thank you Jeff.

I'm jumping ship and going to Debian I think

Not me. I'm not fond of Debian, that's mostly because of my little experience with Debian. But nevertheless the things I know about Debian do not inspire me to work closer. This is my own private opinion and I would never try and persuade anybody in its objectiveness.

Last edited:
Back