Free Help Center (Support System)

jmstacey

Verified User
In my relentless search for a free live chat system I ran over this product. Its amazing what it does and still be free whereas it would cost on the low end, $30/mo for the live chat system alone.

Install it and give it a try, I think you'll like it and what have you got to loose :)

http://www.helpcenterlive.com/

The next version is supposed to be more object oriented making it easy to port to other applications, perhaps in the future the live help system can be ported to the directadmin plugin system :D

Looks great. Did you install it?

How did the install go? Easy?

Does it appear to work as well as it looks?

Thanks.

Jeff

warning ... hackable script

I've just did a bit of checking on their forum; it leaves an open vulnerability if you've got register_globals turned on in your php.ini (which by default DA installs do have on.

See this thread on the HelpCenterLive forum.

Jeff

Yes, I've installed it and it works very well. I would take it over the other mainstream php support desk since its free and does everything the others do, imho.

The install was very simple, Just modify the config file with you database details then run the setup script to setup you first users.

Regarding the REGISTER_GLOBALS hole, its not entirely HCL's fault, but there is a nice quick solution.
Just add this to the config.php file and your set.
Code:
ini_set("register_globals", "0");
Just remember you have to have safe mode off.

I just got around to installing beta 9 and so far it is a great improvement.
The module system should make it very nice to write 3rd party modules for such things as a more advanced ticket system (than osticket) and a FAQ manager among other things.

I haven't incurred to many bugs, mostly just design issues which firefox which Mike fixed in Beta 10 which will probably be released soon.

The demo doesn't show how the live-chat works (get an error). Do you require the WinApp to use any of the functionality? Or is it just an easy front-end in case you don't want to edit stuff manually?

If it does what is listed in the features overview, then it really is a useful addition to the scripts and daemons running on a webhosting server!

i just bought livehelp from stardevelop. Seen this one also but looked buggy to me (some months ago)

I played with HCL for quite some time and it does do quite a bit. You can also install the osTicket addon for 'help desk' support, though I needed to grab the cvs version of HCL to do that.

Quite alot of features for being a free product!

Sounds good - but my question remains:

do I need WinApp to be able to do live-support of some sort (chat), or can it be done without the WinApp?

Just want to know whether the part that I am most interested in is already included in HCL, or not :)

Bya,

Harro

You do NOT need to use the win app whatsoever. I believe that's just there as an added feature for those running a Win based PC as extra notification.

I myself run Macs as my main workstation, so the WinApp is of no use to me. The only hinderance is the need to have a browser window open to monitor the requests for a chat.

Back