proftpd connection problems

dec

Verified User
Hi ..

One of my clients is complaning about connection to my ftp server been dropped. This is the message he gets:

An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. Connection closed

Any ideas?

Please help!

Dec

If no other users are experiencing this problem, I would say its something with the users isp.
Have him try creating another account to see if he experiences the same problem or using his ip address to test.

Solution to FTP issue

I just got this problem after renumbering one of our servers with new IP. Here is the error message I had:

[17:45:47] Connecting to <IP address> Port: 21
[17:45:47] Connected to <hostname>
[17:45:48] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
[17:45:48] Server closed connection

and

Connection to <hostname>
Connection closed by remote host.

Problem:

In /etc/proftpd.vhost.conf, I found out:

<VirtualHost *.*.*.*>
ServerName "ProFTPd"
ExtendedLog /var/log/proftpd/*.*.*.*.bytes WRITE,READ userlog
AuthUserFile /etc/proftpd.passwd
</VirtualHost>

where *.*.*.* is the main server IP

Solution:

Comment this section and do:

service proftpd restart

Hope this helps for those who has similar issue.

Best regards,

Reyner Natahamidjaja
[email protected]
http://globalcon.net

gcypher said:
I dont think commenting out the proftpd.passwd file will help you (or your clients).!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello,

You're right, commenting out proftpd.passwd file will not help. However, the post above was regarding /etc/proftpd.vhost.conf and not proftpd.passwd file.

Best regards,

Reyner Natahamidjaja
[email protected]

THe main server IP should not be in the proftpd.vhosts.conf.
This is because it's loaded as the default (what the hostname resolves to) in the "base" setup with the basic /etc/proftpd.conf file. If it's in the proftpd.vhosts.conf then it would be loaded into proftpd twice, thus breaking it and not allowing proftpd to start (which is bad).

The cause of this is usually the server IP not being set as the server IP in:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ips/1.2.3.4

where 1.2.3.4 would be the server IP. In that file, there should be a line that says:

status=server

if it's set to shared, owned or free.. then it's wrong and should be set to "server". There should be exactly 1 IP file with status=server in it, no more, no less.

John

@DirectAdmin Support well, here's my ip file:

Code:
gateway=
global=yes
netmask=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
ns=
reseller=admin
status=server
value=2

I've replaced status=shared TO status=server and it's okay. Howeever, reseller=admin does not work. So why isn't it working? In IP Manager page, it doesn't say anything.

Please don’t necropost this post is15 years old. Please start a new thread.

What does it matter? There's no need to discuss the same thread again and again. Therefore I was just asking a question within the same thread, that's all.

server IP can't be assigned to any reseller - because it's "server's"

Back