CentOS updates make system unstable

dmchenry

Updates cause system issue.

I am some Linux\UNIX history but still consider my self a newbie. I know Microsoft OS well and am more comfortable with that but willing to learn Linux as well.
I have a CentOS 5.5 Server I am using to Host over 18 other sites with a PERL / Web based application.
The application and hosting are still working but since the CentOS updates I ran this morning my Session (I think that is the correct word) will only load a black desktop with the top menu bar only having the terminal icon and the bottom having a desktop icon; whereas prior to this update the default CentOS blue backdrop with white flower pattern and Applications, Places, System with the terminal icon and other icons displayed and the clock was off to the right. I think this is the Gnome GUI??? Anyway

After the update I received the following message , which originally I tried to make a print screen of and it only partially opened the printscreen APP.
Msg Read as follows:
“Software Updates Successfully completed”
Some Warning were seen during update
*Please refer to /etc/opals/crontab
to update root crontab.*

Kernal - PAE-2.6.18-238.12.1.eI5.i686
Modulefile is /etc/modprobe.conf

/bin/chown ‘jetty’ : invalid user

Also On Friday 6-24-11 I added a device line to the /etc/fstab so that my CD/DVD device would load up at boat time. I would not think this to be causing the problem.

Please advise me on how to get back my regular GUI interface for this Desktop.

Thanks,
Darin
:confused:

I mean your asking a question on a website that has nothing to do with what your asking. This website is for the directadmin control panel.

Back