4.10-R, SMP, MySQL, Qmail, Apache2 & more

donavan

Verified User
Looking at DA as a mgmt panel for a few hundred domains and had a few questions.

Install Requirements list a clean box as the base and DA will do the install. Would this preclude a custom kernel? I run SMP boxen so I always recompile kernel with QUOTA & SMP, is this a problem?

For MySQL is LinuxThreads (port) at all supported or is it pthreads only?

Looking for info on moving from Apache 1.3 -> Apache2 inside DA. Right now 90% of the hosted domains are simple HTML so Ive been using Apache2 + PHP4 as its threadsafe now. How complicated is the switch, or is it possible to get Apache2 by default if FP is not needed?

For the MTA I use a qmail+vpop+mysql cluster, Is it possible to drop all the mail options? Id prefer (for now) to just link the user over to Qmailadmin if they need mail setup.

Whats the DNS backend? Im hoping for DJBDNS, but I could cope with BIND9 + DJBDNS secondary/cache.

Also, is everything installed from ports, pkg, or source?

Hmm, sure is a list there....

I don't see your custom kernel causing any problems. Better get the word from DA on that first or install DA then compile your kernel and if it doesn't work you can fall back to the generic one.

DA uses the MySQL binary available on the mysql website. That is the only one supported on freebsd.

DA does not support Apache 2 at this time. I think you'd be one your own trying to get it there. Search the forums, there have been other threads about this. In general I believe they all concluded it was not possible without major "tweaking"

For the MTA, DA uses Exim. As to using your own programs you would have to make the modifications yourself as DA does not support the ones you have listed

Bind is uses for the DNS backend.

See the bottom of this page to see what software is installed
http://www.directadmin.com/install.html

Whether programs are compiled or package installs.
Webalizer is originally a package install but customapache can also compile it
MTA are installed as custom packages that are downloaded from the directadmin website.
Mysql is binary and everything else is compiled

Back