CentOS 6 Releases

hehe yes mine did not work so i will just wait for the release.. But one question i have 5.6 if i do yum update will it update to 6.0 ? so i should not do yum update ?

Read this (centos.org); though it's for an earlier version, it may be helpful. You need to change the repos and should use the yum upgrade rather than yum update; see man yum.

Note that most professional administrators don't do it; we don't trust it, and we don't recommend it.

That says, Fedora (which is not marketed as a professional distribution) publishes a wiki page (fedoraproject.org) on how to do it.

Note that doing this now will most likely break DirectAdmin, as it's not yet CentOS 6 ready.

Jeff

I'd stick with the major CentOS version you're currently running and just keep up with the 'yum update' updates.

With a yum upgrade you'll most likely break your whole AMP setup due to the newer libraries that are used in the newer CentOS. Since Apache and PHP are compiled from source, a lot is linked and compiled against existing libraries which are replaced on a yum upgrade.

And the fact that RedHat supplies updates for 10 years on a RHEL major version, this will keep your current CentOS version fairly safe as long as the maintainers keep it up :)

Red Hat makes security and bug-fix updates available at no charge for seven years, and enhancement releases only for four years. Information here (redhat.com).

Jeff

Back