Problem with 2TB drives on Red Hat and Derivatives

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
Interesting problem with 2TB drives on Red Hat and Derivatives:

Our first try at building a system wth multiple 2TB drives in a hardware RAID array it worked fine. We used brand new drives, never before installed anywhere.

The second time, without hardware RAID (using software for per-partition flexibility, we got an interesting error:
this machine cannot boot using GPT
Googling finds that drives larger than 2TB can't be formatted on CentOS5.x and below.

Though these drives reported exactly 2TB, this might have been the problem. So we tried the install on Scientific Linux6 (this is a backup server and won't be running DirectAdmin), This gave us a different error:

Raid metadata detected

The newer Kernel is supposed to work fine with larger drives, but appears to protect you from writing over one drive in a RAID array. We couldn't use the drives; they weren't recognized in the system.

We eventually found a fix that seems to work (and possibly cure both problems): We zeroed out each drive. While we used a bios-based drive format program, most searches found with Google recommend using the dd command.

Don't ask. Over seven hours per drive.

But then we were able to install Scientific Linux 6. Not tried with CentOS 5, but we think it will probably work; after all the first machine worked with 2TB drives with drives that were unused to start.

Jeff

I would imagine you could simply dd/zero the first few thousand blocks of each disk and have it work. (To save time, since you would be formatting it anyways)

I don't think the kernel really does any in-depth scanning (aka past the first few blocks or partition tables) of the disk to see if their is raid data on it.

Specific posts said that didn't work. It didn't work for me. Formatting the entire drive from the server BIOS worked. According to those same posts, using dd to zero out the entire drive did work. Perhaps the metadata is stored at the end of the drive? I don't know.

Jeff

Back