Install DA on Cloudlinux.

hanh_bk

Verified User
Hi all.
I see Cloudlinux http://www.cloudlinux.com/ used very well, but DA does not support it by default.
I do not know is installed on CloudLinux DA activity is not stable, do not hear from the DA about this like?
And if so, when the DA will support by default cloudliux like Cpanel?
Thanks.

I spoke to the CloudLinux people in the past but got only generalities. However looking at their forum (cloudlinux.com), they appear to understand the needs, they appear to be responsive, and they appear to want to support DirectAdmin and us.

Jeff

Hello,

From my understanding, it's just a magical version of CentOS. We support CentOS, and CentOS supports cloudlinux.. thus by inference, we support cloud linux (I've not personally tested it, so cannot say for sure, but nothing on the install page is out of the ordinary, except the redhat-release file which is a minor change)

If anyone knows what the /etc/redhat-release file looks like on a cloud linux box, we can throw it in to the setup.sh fairly easily.

John

It may not be quite that simple; there are a few of what may be bugs listed in their forums, when running DirectAdmin on CloudLinux. I'd like to see them resolved first. And CloudLinux isn't just a respin of CentOS; it's a commercial product, and to my understanding it makes internal changes to how the kernel works.

I'll write to them and see if we can work out some testing, when I have the time.

Jeff

# cat /etc/redhat-release
CloudLinux Server release 5.6

On 6.x it is:
CloudLinux Server release 6.1

Jeff --
regarding generics answers: the installation process is really simple. It is really just a "magical" version of CentOS. You install it, add module for apache -- and it works.
Regarding bugs: DA plugin bugs are resolved. We have a requirement for plugin -- php for DA admin has to run with safe mode off as we need to run some command line tools to get data/apply settings. Yet, plugin is still beta/not required part.
The only other known issue: DA setups use different php handlers across installations and those handlers should be added to mod_hostinglimits.conf

We have hundreds servers running DA -- so far, some of them for more then a year now.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll try to find time to try it within the next few months. Until then, anyone else who wishes to try it: you should be able to get help here. While as of this writing he only has two posts here, user iseletsk is the man at CloudLinux. :D

Jeff

Hello,

If anyone knows what the /etc/redhat-release file looks like on a cloud linux box, we can throw it in to the setup.sh fairly easily.

John

Hi John,

Will you be adding CloudLinux to the setup.sh?

I see as of last version Cloud Linux is still not included in setup. Latest release is CloudLinux Server release 6.2

Denny

we also going to CL soon (CentOS6). As Igor (CL CEO) say few weeks ago we must wait for mayor improvement in DA support for CL. For now DA plugin for CL is very poor and far behind solutions for cPanel ;( sad ;(

I'd like to see it added to DA, however it seems more important to me to bring attention to some feedback problems from DA side:

http://cloudlinux.com/solutions/forum/index.php?PAGE_NAME=read&FID=14&TID=302

At least this is what it said from CL side.

It would be nice this situation could be solved. It seems to me there must be some comunication problem. We are using Cloud Linux for a while too and should be nice to see some progress, both Da and Cl are extremely responsive teams, this is why it seems so extrange to me.

Regards

Last edited:
Hello,

I've just added a basic "CloudLinux" check to the setup.sh, just so it can find the correct services.tar.gz file...
I'm not sure what else is missing beyond that.

I noticed people were asking about "SecureLinks", which when I googled it, is nothing more than disabling FollowSymLinks in apache, which we already do (we actually don't disable it, we use the rack911 patch which changes it internally to SymLinksIfOwnerMatch, so FollowSymLinks is actually disabled in apache, but clients can still use that syntax, it wil just be converted to SymLinksIfOwnerMatch)

It's documented here, and was implemented last December into Custombuild:
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42332&p=214681#post214681

In any case, it's the same thing as "SecureLinks", it's just done by us, not CL.
The other complaint was ligtspeed... which isn't really CloudLinux related.. it's DA related as CL is just the OS.
and I believe there are guides on how to use it with DA. (we simply only offer tech support on Apache)

Anyway, with the updated setup.sh, it should be one step closer... feel free to let me know if anything else is missing.
Or if anyone has a CL box and a DA license, I'd be happy to test out the installer for them... and update it as I go, if anything is missing.

John

I've replied on the CL topic in an attempt to make development between CL and DA go smoothly. I really hope communication/information isn't going to be in the way of some decent DA support by CL :)

yep, this is very frustrating. So many new features and NOTHING for DA. They say that "soon" but this probably is lie ;(

@explosive, did you mean to post the same link twice?

Another way to do some of this would be a separate script, not part of custombuild. For example, the update script, a third party script documented on these forums, can be used even though we're using custombuild.

Jeff

I replied to the thread on their forum, thank you for the link.

Back