Webalizer seems to be mixing up results

prophecy

Verified User
I have some stats that make absolutely no sense, it's like it's getting stats from every site on the server and putting them into one report. Like referrals from other sites on the server that have absolutely no relation let alone links back to each other.

Webalizer stats are computed from:
/var/log/httpd/domains/domain.com.log

so the only way to get into the stats, is to get into that log. Can't say much more than that without more info.

John

Well it's sure doing it, for example:

A geological consulting company is getting this in top URLs by KBytes:

1 510 10.55% 1563 3.94% /view.jsp
2 221 4.57% 819 2.07% /
3 29 0.60% 783 1.98% /flash/sensual.swf
4 40 0.83% 510 1.29% /product.jsp
5 4 0.08% 403 1.02% /files/1444.mvr
6 4 0.08% 367 0.93% /product.html
7 4 0.08% 364 0.92% /files/2306.mvr
8 4 0.08% 332 0.84% /files/2468.mvr
9 4 0.08% 324 0.82% /files/2473.mvr
10 2 0.04% 293 0.74% /toc/htdtc.htm

The only one in there that is actually part of that site is the toc/htdtc.htm !!

The rest are from 2 or 3 other sites on the server.

Same problem with entry pages and referrals and search phrases.

This is very interesting, as we just started getting the same problem on a webalizer install on a Plesk server.

Are you having this problem on a Red Hat installation that's been recently upgraded? Both our DA systems are down right now (for complete rebuilding before one of them is put into use and the other left as a "test system", so I can't check on it with DA, but a Plesk system we rebuilt a few days ago has the problem, immediately after we ran apt-get to update the system.

Jeff

It's a new server running RH 9 and Apache 1.3. This is crazy, I hope nobody looks to closely at the referrals and search phrases until this is resolved. Wonder why this would be happening?? Think it's a webalizer issue?

I'm beginning to think it's a webalizer issue.

I hope John is willing to visit this and see what he thinks.

Jeff

That's quite odd... are those files actually in the apache log file as being transferred? (Trying to establish where they are being added from).. if they are then it might be something with apache...

I looked at the apache log (the link at the top of the stats page and it looks correct for the domain, then when i click on the webalizer stats, it's not correct. I even searched through the apache log and couldn't find the pages that webalizer is saying are being viewed.

So i have a feelign it's not the apache logs. They are separate for each site right?

Yes, seperate logs for each domain, and also each sub domain.

The command that is being run is:
Code:
/usr/bin/webalizer -p -n domain.com -o /home/.../stats /var/.../domain.com.log
where ... is just shorthand for the real path.

Try running that on your logs to a new directory and see if it generates the same results.

John

ran it and same results. Even did a search through the /var/..../domain.com.log file for the pages i'm finding and it's not there. Very very strange.

Double check to see that you *don't* have an /etc/webalizer.conf file. If it's there, then webalizer will use the log from there... so just rename it something else (or delete it), and see if that helps. We do *not* want this file to exist.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Double check to see that you *don't* have an /etc/webalizer.conf file. If it's there, then webalizer will use the log from there... so just rename it something else (or delete it), and see if that helps. We do *not* want this file to exist.

John

It is there, renamed it, running the stats again. Worked!

So that won't come back will it? there's a webalizer.conf.sample file too.

Now do i have to delete all the stats out of the stats dirs now to get it to refresh them?

Hello,

So that won't come back will it

If you update webalizer via rpm, it probably will. I'll include a nightly check to make sure that the file isn't there.

Now do i have to delete all the stats out of the stats dirs now to get it to refresh them?

Yes, that would work, but you'd only see the stats that are in the current log file. To get all stats back to normal, you'll have to go through each backed up apache log and run the above for each one.

John

Would it be easy to make a script that could find all the public_html/stats dirs and delete them the contents?

Code:
#!/bin/sh
for i in `ls /home`
do
{
        DIR=/home/$i/domains;
        for j in `ls $DIR`
        do
        {
                echo "removing stats for $DIR/$j/stats ...";
                rm -rf $DIR/$j/stats/*
        };
        done;
};
done;
exit 0;

Note that this doesn't check if anything is a directory, so you'll get a few errors, which you can ingore. Use at your own risk :)

John

Back