No passwd file

Sterck

Hello,

I have a virtual server with directadmin 4.01 running.

I get a lot of dovecot brute force log of one of my user.

Code:
dovecot1	Jan 7 15:07:38 vps14357 dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts): user=<userX>, method=PLAIN, rip=***, lip=***

The wierd thing is, he gets a succesfull login and retrieve all his mail.

When looking in the mail log i see:

Code:
Jan  7 14:52:34 vps14357 dovecot: auth-worker: shadow(userX,***): Password mismatch
Jan  7 14:52:34 vps14357 dovecot: auth: passwd-file(userX,***): no passwd file: /etc/virtual//passwd
Jan  7 14:52:36 vps14357 dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts): user=<userX>, method=PLAIN, rip=***, lip=***
Jan  7 14:53:12 vps14357 dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<userX>, method=PLAIN, rip=***, lip=***, mpid=29130
Jan  7 14:53:12 vps14357 dovecot: pop3(userX): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/13, size=240408

I've updated my dovecot with:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build update_dovecot
./build dovecot
service dovecot restart

Also updated my dovecot.conf with:

http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/dovecot.conf.2.0

But i still getting the error.

I think that the problem is being caused is that the user login with the main directadmin user: userX and not with [email protected]
Therefor the passwd file is not being found because the domain is empty.
Login with [email protected] gives an authentication failed.

Anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks

Check the first line of your paste. Dovecot is properly checking the /etc/shadow file, as it should, for username email logins (as opposed to virtual mail users). The problem is clearly stated: Password mismatch.

Jeff

Well it looks like the password is invalid, but the strange thing is, the mail is succesfully recieved. I'll ask the user if he delete his mail account on the phone and create it again.

Back