Mail questions

Kornel Hartung

I have 3 questions about the e-mail system in DA:
  • How can a user change his mail account quotas?
  • Is there a possibility to create a subdomain e-mail account: [email protected]?
  • When will DA support IMAP?

Thanks,
Kornel

Hello,

1) There are no upper limits for email quotas. If the quotas are on the same partition as /home, then they'll be limited by the system quotas. If you are refering to the webmail, see:
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113&highlight=webmail+quota

2) Subdomain email accounts can easily be created by simply creating a new domain called "sub.domain.com" and create email accounts as usual.

3) Sometime after we finish our FreeBSD release (which is starting to roll again), we can't really give you a date. Note that with IMAP will come SquirrelMail.

John

Hurry up with IMAP then :)

I got Spamcop, ORDB, and bayesian filtering working via procmail (speaking of I got procmail working as well).

When a spam is detected it merely adds some headers:

X-SpamProbe: GOOD 0.0000000 45c79c99166d3e75d28ae6f8b623adc6
X-Spamcheck: IPSTR: 216.127.80.11

And some more headers if it finds spam
X-Spamcheck: Sender ip $IPSTR is registered in ORDB
X-Spamcheck: Sender ip $IPSTR is registered in Spamcop

And it adds "[SPAM]" at the front of the subject line (for braindead email clients like outlook express that can't filter via headers really well).

Instead of trying to tie this in to the actual directadmin we're just gonna make a standalone spam interface (for teaching the bayesian filter what is and isn't spam) like http://<server>/spamcontrol/ (or something).

But this is really nice when you have Imap so you can use procmail to go ahead and filter into folders as well :)

Dixiesys said:
I got Spamcop, ORDB, and bayesian filtering working via procmail (speaking of I got procmail working as well).
Did you get procmail working server-wide, per domain, or per user?

Will you share your newfound knowledge? I'd love to get procmail working and I don't have the time to fight it right now.

TIA :)

Jeff

Oh, per user, domain/server wide would just piss off people who are real picky about things. They'd see the fact there were some sort of filter in place and be convinced we're deleting emails...

it's not hard, for the user who wants procmail just make a .forward with this line:

| /usr/bin/procmail

and then you can use .procmailrc as normal

Oh yeah .forward cannot be readable by anyone but the user (aka chmod 600)

But then don't you have to create a custom .procmailrc file for each user?

I've got a procmail recipe I want to run serverwide; I was hoping you'd done a serverwide procmail implementation.

I'm still studying, and hope to have one available soon.

Thanks!

Jeff

Oh no I don't want server wide, I want to be able to disable/enable this on a user by user basis with default being disabled.

We all have different needs and different ideas, Gary.

Do you want each of your users (site owners? Mailbox owners?) to be able to set up their own recipes? Or do you intend to give them specific options?

My biggest concern is customer support impact. We've found in the fact that if you give customers the opportunity to create problems and then call, they will.

I've got over 20 years of experience and my last recipe, even though I got it from someone else who said it worked for him, I still had to rework it three times before it did exactly what we wanted it to to... so how can I trust my clients to be responsible?

Of course the idea of giving them tested scripts and letting them use them or not is interesting to me but I'm not sure how to keep it from being a customer support nightmare.

Jeff

Yep they can disable or enable the filtering but I'm not planning on letting them modify it themselves if I can help it :)

I'm presuming you use one .procmailrc file, then?

Can you tell us how you did it?

:)

Jeff

Well I mighta spoke too soon, I was using this on the admin account but it seems that the pop3 accounts created aren't given a home directory to put all these files into :) Ok back to the drawing board haha.

Back