Can I break things upgrading?

jim.thornton

Verified User
I have not run custombuild in a long time. The main reason is fear of breaking something. However, my software is outdated and I'm thinking that I should really upgrade it. I can't remember which software has been installed via custombuild and which ones manually. For example, I have Ioncube Loader installed but I think I did it manually but it was so long ago I can't remember.

I'm curious to know if I upgrade things with custombuild if it will break things like Ioncube?

I also think that I might have installed ProFTPD manually because I was having an issue with a version a while ago. However, ProFTPD isn't working correctly now either. Only SFTP connections work, not normal FTP connections.

So... Do I need to manually uninstall the manually installed software before I use custombuild?

Also, should I just change it to custombuild 2 or will that break something too?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello,

Of course there is a possibility that you break anything on your server. If your server and running software is customized and the customization was not done with custombuild's features, then it might be a real problem. As custombuild allows to have customized copies of configs and templates, all changes should be applied to them.

Note, custombuild 2 is not ready yet, you can use either 1.1 or 1.2

Please be kindly informed, that some of us here on the forums are ready to give you the best commerce service as we can. So if you need my private help feel free to PM me or use a form on my site in order to contact me. Also you might want to look at advertising forum to find some other guys to do the job for you.

I upgraded but PHP 5.3.10 broke everything. There were tons of errors, some sites stopped working all together and then there were other issues. I downgraded php back to 5.2.17 but I'm worried that it is a security risk. Any thoughts?

Update your PHP scripts, and use Google to search the forums for already made posts upon the subject of switching to PHP 5.3.

Probably would be fine if you disabled php warnings and errors.

You can use this PHP-code in your script to disable the Depricated-notices:
Code:
ini_set("error_reporting", ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED);
Note that in a further version (e.g. PHP 5.4) the 'depricated' functions probably are removed, and must be rewritten.

E.g. ereg() -> preg_match()

Back