Help To cgi-bin Path

courier

I am installing a script for the first time, and need to know what the cgi-bin path means

/home/username/domains/domain.com/public_html/cgi-bin

My user name is the same as my domain but what does domains mean.

You've got it right.

/domains/

is right and should be left alone; there's a directory in the path named "domains".

Jeff

Hey,

As a side note and for general information (as a lot of people already know this)...

Remember that DA (among others) puts a ScriptAlias directive in the VirtualHost container...

Like this:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/USERNAME/domains/USERS_DOMAIN_NAME/public_html/cgi-bin/

Obviously, this makes it easier calling .cgi's as you only need http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/file_name_here.cgi to call the .cgi.

David

Since that's the standard calling convention for cgi files everywhere on the net, I'm not sure of your point.

but...

okay.

Jeff

Hey,

There was no point, it was exactly like it said - information:

As a side note and for general information (as a lot of people already know this)...

As the original poster was wondering about the path to the cgi-bin directory in DA, I thought it might be worth while to point out ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/...

I really don't understand why your post to me was necessary. There are a lot of posts here that state things that might be considered standards or accepted practices or, like mine, simply give additional information...

However, I'll certainly try to be more careful with any posts in the future.

David

David,

I didn't mean to upset you; my question is specifically about:
Obviously, this makes it easier calling .cgi's as you only need http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/file_name_here.cgi to call the .cgi.
And my not understanding is based on the missing antecedent for "eaiser". Easier than what?

I don't know of any other way to call cgi programs, so I didn't (and still don't) understand the "easier".

Jeff

Hey,

I'm not upset.

After re-reading everything I realized using DA as an example was probably a bad idea, as the cgi-bin is located inside the public_html directory...

Where it came in handy for us was on some older, still running servers (pre DA) where we put the cgi-bin outside the main directory.

Several years back we included some cgi's and pl's in our offerings and having the cgi-bin out of the customers reach required them to go through us to approve any other scripts they wanted to use... but, it still allowed them to call them the same way from their pages.

OK, I'm starting to date myself a bit here...

Anyway, that's pretty much what I meant by easier.

David

Thanks for the clarification, David.

I'm one of those oldtimers that believes it's more secure to have cgi-bin outside the public_html path, but I accept that the tradeoffs make putting it inside an acceptable solution.

Jef

Back