what is iscsiuio

mktw

Verified User
Hi,

i noticed iscsiuio eating away my valuable VPS memory.
this is needed for what?
if not so important then how can i remove it?

root 1212 0.0 6.2 32756 32752 ? S<Lsl Mar18 0:00 iscsiuio

thanks

Hello,

Code:
man iscsiuio

iscsiuio is the UserSpace I/O driver for the Broadcom NetXtreme IIBCM5706/5708/5709 series PCI/PCI-X Gigabit Ethernet Network Interface Card(NIC) and for the Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM57710/57711/57712/57800/57810/57840series PCI-E 10 Gigabit Ethernet Network Interface Card.The driver has been tested on 2.6.28 kernels and above.

Refer to the README.TXT from the driver package on how tocompile and install the driver.

Refer to various Linux documentationson how to configure network protocol and address.

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/45/idpl/17781726/numer/8/nazwa/iscsiuio

p.s. Google rulezzz

Thanks for ur reply, i googled hi & low but cudn't find any way to lower its RAM requirement...

hmm.. thats the point.. how to find out if its really needed or dependencies... ?

Since you're running a VPS... (what virtualization is it by the way?) I'd rather say you are not having Broadcom NetXtreme IIBCM5706/5708/5709 series PCI/PCI-X Gigabit Ethernet Network Interface Card(NIC) there... so you probably can disable it.

Note, you're on your own with any risks or damages which might or might not occur, if you disable the driver. I can not guarantee you won't break anything. I only share my thoughts and experience here; I can give you guarantees only if I do it with my own hands.

WOA!! you have to realize what that is!

Networking protocol has a memory overhead. At any time your network card (in memory) is buffering out going packets, reading in coming and transfering them to the appropriate applications, and it must keep a cache of sent packets. The sent packet cache is for when the recipient does not receive, or get a corrupted packet and they must re-request it.

All that remains in your computer's memory. If you want to reduce the usage, just kill your network traffic. Push people and users off the box (sarcasm)

Your culprits are net idiots that either over-load their network connections, or the unfortunate few who still have dial-up or other slow connections. Because these transmissions go slower, they reside in memory longer and need more buffering.

If you don't have it, try modules like limitIPconn to reduce the amount of connections net-idiots start. A respectible value for multiple connection is from 12, to even 24. I have logs showing users creating as many as 128 concurrent connections to get their stuff "faster"... Everything this [ab]user requests then remains in the server's memory until their connection can complete all the downloads.

Back