MySQL stopped working

Andy Huang

I am not 100% sure what happened (read: I did a few things which may have messed it up) but my MySQLd stopped working and not coming back.

Code:
root@host:~# service mysqld start 
Starting mysqld:		[ OK ]
root@host:~# ps aux | grep mysql
root      3960  0.0  0.0   7548   868 pts/4    S+   19:00   0:00 grep mysql

What I suspected happened?
Last night, I was setting up virtual box, via apt-get, which I think brought in mysql-common package (nothing else, just the common). I didn't notice any immediate problems, and messages system didn't notify me of anything until late afternoon today.

I had a system lock up (possibly because I may have misconfigured virtual box and it was eating all my cpu), so I asked hosting company to reboot it for me. After the server came back, MySQL never came back.

I've checked /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog, but was not able to find anything about this.

Attempting to invoke it manually via root gives this error message before terminating:
Code:
root@host:~# /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/data --plugin-dir=/usr/local/mysql/lib/plugin --user=mysql --log-error=/usr/local/mysql/data/host.server.net.err --open-files-limit=8192 --pid-file=/usr/local/mysql/data/host.pid --socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock --port=3306
120323 19:04:34 [ERROR] Can't find messagefile '/usr/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys'

I already have data in MySQL prior to this, so I would really wish I don't have to nuke my entire mysql installation and start from scratch. What is the safest method to use custombuild to re-build my MySQL installation?

Back