upgrading rhl9 -> wbel3

donco

Verified User
We're researching upgrade paths out of the RedHat Linux 9.0 EOL (end of life). We've done some research on WhiteBox Linux 3.0, and have found it to be encouraging.

What would be the options/ramifications to DirectAdmin if we were to do this? Specifically, what would happen if we upgraded our RedHat Linux 9.0 DirectAdmin servers to WhiteBox Linux 3.0? Will DirectAdmin cease to function? What can we do to upgrade DirectAdmin to match?

If a direct upgrade will not work, could we setup a new server with wbel3 w/DA and migrate customers from an old server?

I appreciate all time and attention spent on this issue. If there is another topic already covering these concerns, please post the link here, as I was unable to find it via search.

Thanks,
-Don

We've been supporting DA on WBEL for a few months now, and so far we like it.

We did a new box install with the standard RHEL version of DA.

I don't know if an upgrade would work; I don't even know if an upgrade is possible.

My understanding is WBEL needs a new install.

But I could be wrong.

Jeff

What about migrating then? Can we install a new WBEL 3.0 server and migrate customers from a RHL 9.0 based server? Will there be data loss?

If migration options aren't available, how about a strait backup and restore? As in, do a complete backup of the RHL 9.0 based customer, then restore them on the new WBEL 3.0 server?

Regardless, what will happen to DA if the OS is upgraded underneath it? Will it not run? Will it need to be reinstalled? Will a reinstall result in customer data loss? Will we need to have the license converted for it to work (this will be done regardless, but I'm trying to determine order of operations here)?

Again, many thanks for everyone's time and attention.

-Don

donco said:
What about migrating then? Can we install a new WBEL 3.0 server and migrate customers from a RHL 9.0 based server? Will there be data loss?
I'm not sure what you mean by migrate, since I see neither a migrate button nor a migrate script.
If migration options aren't available, how about a strait backup and restore? As in, do a complete backup of the RHL 9.0 based customer, then restore them on the new WBEL 3.0 server?
Some people have reported problems on these forums, in restoring from backups. I'd want to try it with one site first.
Regardless, what will happen to DA if the OS is upgraded underneath it? Will it not run? Will it need to be reinstalled? Will a reinstall result in customer data loss? Will we need to have the license converted for it to work (this will be done regardless, but I'm trying to determine order of operations here)?
I'm guessing it will need a license reissue, which shouldn't cost anything. (I know that they recently reissued one of my licensed because I'm tearing down and rebuilding my testbed system.)

The real place to ask is DA sales. These forums do not constitute an official support venue for DirectAdmin.

Jeff

Again, many thanks for everyone's time and attention.

-Don [/B][/QUOTE]

jlasman said:
I'm guessing it will need a license reissue, which shouldn't cost anything. (I know that they recently reissued one of my licensed because I'm tearing down and rebuilding my testbed system.)

Understood; this doesn't cost us anything or require we be reissued a license, we just inform sales and they make it work with the new info... though that was with an IP change, so perhaps it's different when changing platforms.

Regardless, we're going to be doing much testing before we try doing this even in our alpha environment, let alone beta or production. We are not hasty folks when it comes to customer data loss or down time.

The real place to ask is DA sales. These forums do not constitute an official support venue for DirectAdmin.

I suppose I was under the impression that they lurked these forums, but they certainly haven't bitten on this question as they have my others.

Sales it is, and I'll post back my findings here if I manage an elegant solution. (I can't imagine I represent the only company out there interested in a migration path for the now defunct RHL; or simply a migration path in general)

Thanks, as always,
-Don

Well, that turned out to be rather simple.

The following was done to mimic our production environment:
*) installed a stock RHL 9.0 server
*) downloaded & installed latest version of DA for RHL 9
*) implemented standard configuration tweaks (templates, scripts, etc.)
*) created test user & added custom user data (web page, ftp/mail users, etc.)

Then, just to "see what would happen", installed WBEL 3.0 over top of this working setup. Tried to keep the install package list as similar to the RHL 9.0 package list as possible.

Of critical note, I did not format /etc (/), /var, /usr, or /home.

Install completed as usual, but on boot-up there was an odd anaconda "not found" error (I was not present to witness it, so I'll be conducting this same procedure again). Regardless, subsequent reboots have shown no problems.

More importantly, all customer data appears to be intact. Even the /etc/shadow passwords (admin, main users, etc.) are retained.

Two things that were done, however, were:
*) removed the rc3.d sendmail start/stop scripts (linux is adament it be installed and it conflicts with exim)
*) deleted /etc/redhat-release and created symlink of same name which points to whitebox-release (I'm not certain this is necessary, but I'm anal ;) )

Assuming the second test run completes with similar results, and additional checks prove all is well with it, I feel confident with attempting an upgrade of our alpha environment early next week. :D

Thanks,
-Don

Back