Quick questions to understand better custombuild

joelkal

Verified User
Hello,

I'm using CustomBuild 1.1 a year now in a small server and now that I want to build a Joomla site I get message that I can't install the latest Joomla version in my server as the PHP is lower than the suggested (PHP5.3).

So after that; I did a research and from the thread http://www.directadmin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29 I saw that in many services I have very lower version from the new ones and my question is;
  • why CustomBuild 1.1 don't auto-update or inform me about the latest versions?
    (Until now I got notifications for PHP: 5.2.16 to 5.2.16 and not to 5.3)
  • Which is the different between CustomBuild1.1 and CustomBuild1.2?
  • Is it worth to update to CustomBuild1.2?(as I read version 2.0 is coming)
  • Is my server very small to update all the services to the latest? If not will have any bad impact?

To give more info my server is:
Code:
CentOS release 5.8(Final)
Kernel 2.6.35 on an x86_64
CPU: 2.000 MHz
Ram: 1024 MB
and a HDD: 100 GB

If I run ./build options to check the versions I got the below result
Code:
Apache: 2.2.22
Dovecot: 2.1.6
AWstats: 6.95
Exim: no
exim.conf update: no
SpamAssassin: 3.3.2
ClamAV: no
Mailman: no
MySQL: 5.1.63
MySQL backup: yes
MySQL backup directory: /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql_backups
PHP: 5.2.17 as CGI with mail() header patch
phpMyAdmin: 3.5.1-all-languages
ProFTPD: no
Pure-FTPd: no
Atmail webmail: no
RoundCube webmail: 0.7.2
Cron for notifications and (or) updates: yes
Auto notifications: yes
Auto notifications email address: [email protected]
Auto updates: yes
Run "clean" every time: yes
Run "clean_old_webapps" every time: yes
Run "clean_old_tarballs" every time: no
Show texts in bold: yes
SquirrelMail: 1.4.22
UebiMiau: no
Zend Optimizer: 3.3.3
ionCube loader: 4.0.14

This should help you:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
perl -pi -e 's/custombuild=1.1/custombuild=1.2/' options.conf
./build update
./build set_fastest
./build set php5_ver 5.3
./build php d

why CustomBuild 1.1 don't auto-update or inform me about the latest versions?
(Until now I got notifications for PHP: 5.2.16 to 5.2.16 and not to 5.3)
CustomBuild settings can be set for automatic notification or even for automatic installation; search the forums and the knowledgebase. It can't change between major versions and sometimes between first subversions, because many of us don't want to do that without thinking about it.

Jeff

Thanks Alex and Jeff!

It can't change between major versions and sometimes between first subversions, because many of us don't want to do that without thinking about it.

Jeff as I don't know a lot from servers but CustomBuild helped me to keep my small server in shape, which will be the risk to update the services in new versions?
My understanding by now was that each update is faster and better for the previous and also fix the security holes!

Joel

CustomBuild usually just works but from time to time we've had problems which resulted in some server downtime while we fixed them. We recommend:

Manually doing updates when you have time to fix anything that might go wrong.

Waiting a few days so others have tried first and posted any problems so you can google these forums to help you if necessary.

Hiring me or someone else to do your updates if you're unsure of your abilities and uptime is important.

Jeff

I should add a tip, if you have resouces to have a Virtual Machine with DirectAdmin run a test box where run updates before do that on a production environment, i personally use this way

Regards

Back