CPU_CORES setting

foobic

First, many thanks for a great utility here. I've been using DA and custombuild for several years and it really makes life easy - it just works!

But (there had to be one of those, right?) I've now come across a problem. I have a relatively small but high-spec VPS - Virtuozzo/SLM with 512MB and 16 shared cores. With the CPU_CORES variable being calculated automatically in the script, build php (specifically make -j 16) crashes when compiling PHP 5.3. Running top in another window while it's running shows a lot (presumably up to 16) of cc1 processes and the memory usage spikes until everything gets killed by the hypervisor. Judging by another VPS with 1GB SLM / 16 cores it seems to be trying to use about 600MB+ in addition to the 200MB or so of background usage.

So my workaround was to remove the line (63 or thereabouts) of the build script that sets CPU_CORES to 16 and let it default to the initial value (1). This works but of course I'm going to need to hack it again every time you release a new version. And who knows, perhaps I'm not the only one seeing this problem although I can't find any other references to it. So do you think it would be worth while adding an override value for CPU_CORES into options.conf? Or is there a better workaround for this that I'm missing? TIA for any suggestions.

Back