TLD-server

ISOS6

Verified User
I want to ask a little about the things that have nothing with DirectAdmin to do.

How to set the TLD server? I have searched on Google but looks like I'm missing keyword to find the right information.

We are a group of people in Iraq who want to have your own TLD eg. .de .iq etc

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for your reply

There were huge amounts of money.:rolleyes: The government must take a position, shall submit an application to the government for support. Maybe they will help, we are 40 million people and have own government, but we are not a country. :cool:

The problem is you're not a country. There is precedent, the EU has a cc TLD, and it's not a country, but it's going to require a lot of cooperation from a lot of sources, and it's likely not going to be either cheap or easy.

There is another way to do it, and it has been tried UNsuccessfully several times in the past. The problem is that no one will see your domains unless they use YOUR T:D nameservers for resolution.

What you need to do is set up your own nameservers (more than just one or two), and have them manage the root for your new TLD (make sure it doesn't conflict with any real ones) and also pass through (proxy) requests for all other TLDs to the Internet's root servers. This will in effect create a private TLD.

Then all you need to do is make sure everyone who might want to reach domains listed under your private TLD uses your root servers instead of the ones given them by their ISP or their own.

This may not be as hard as it sounds; for example, if you're a region, then you can somehow get all ISPs serving your region to point to your nameservers.

However you're really creating your own private internet, and in generall that's not a good thing, and there may be lots of people who you'd like to be able to reach you, who never will.

As far as the physical work, I can do it for you (for a fee quite a bit less than it will cost you to get into the main Internet root servers, but nevertheless not as cheaply as you might wish for), and I'm sure there are others who can as well. You'll need well connected root servers with a lot of memory, processor speed, and bandwidth, because all nameserver searches for the entire group of people who might want to find your sites will go through your nameservers; not just the searches for your TLD.

If I were doing this for me I'd place these high-power servers in Level 3 datacenters, specifically Level 3 datacenters that are directly on the Internet and don't use any intermediate connectivity. Again, this makes sense because some of the main root servers are already in Level 3 datacenters. In fact, if the locations are published, I'd want to be in the same datacenters if possible; that would make the proxying of all other searches go a lot faster and without much opportunity for failure.

I'm presuming you mean Tarin Hills and while I laud your interest, I'm not sure it's a big enough community to make it feasible. Please feel free to contact me privately by email if you'd like to discuss this further; as you note yourself, it's not exactly on-topic for the DirectAdmin forum.

Jeff

Back