Can not figure out what custombuild is

dreamfox

Verified User
I have read many topics, but I can not figure it out what it is and what is does!
Can someone tell me what custombuild now exactly is, and why it is good to install or not? What are the benefits?

I need to install directadmin in a few days, so i'm wondering if I need custombuild?
And how can i install custombuild with the directadmin installation?
I have read that there is a configuration file: options.conf Do i need to set the options before install, or is it asked while installing?

Any explanation will be great

It become installed automatically. Custombuild is the "installer manager" for software like apache exim dovecot php mysql and many mores, is useful also for update those software.

Regards

During installation of Directadmin you will be asked if you want to use custombuild 1.1 or 1.2 or normal installation.
Best way is to use custombuild, preferably 1.2 because at this moment, this will standard build a newer version of php and mysql then custombuild 1.1. And for the rest it's as Sellerone already explained.
It's much easyer for updating all things installed by Directadmin and you have the options.conf to set several options to your needs.

So i dont have to do anything?
Just install da and it will ask for it?

And u dont have to edit any config files before install?

Just one question :D

If I made some changes in option.conf to "yes" (for some options) then when I try to execute "./build all" and will "no" option will be installed too ?

sorry, english is not my native language :)

No, options set to no are not installed.

Also, if you set (lets say for example exim to yes) you dont need to build all, just ./build exim

For a list of avaible commands for build just run ./build

Regards

No, options set to no are not installed.
Except from things that will be installed standardly, so you can choose for example "no" for Exim, proftpd and Mysql, but they still will be installed by custombuild, however, you can't update them via custombuild then.

if coming from whm/cpanel its like a slimmed down easyapache done through ssh.

Hi,
back a couple months ago when I decided to get some servers and put DA to use again, the initial installs via JBMC were done as, AFAIK, a default / CB 1.2 flavor.

IIRC, long ago there was a non custom build installation also, which I gather is what CB 1.2 is for the time being.

I had some problems with one server months ago and preformed a clean install myself and winged it by picking CB 1.2 and defaults.

What I am wondering is if there is any reason I should not be using CB 2.0?

I've no obligations of the server(s) for customers or need to refrain from changes due to customer needs, etc. It seems many here are using CB 2.0 and it's a little confusing why I am using CB 1.2 when CB 2.0 seems to be the norm.

Best I can tell CB 2.0 will allow experimental / beta / rc software to be installed, however it also is very much a production ready method of installation and update too.

The most important thing is, which version of PHP does you use? If you're still using PHP 5.2 so you must stay on 1.2, otherwise, i think you can switch to CB 2 without issue.

Regards

and it's a little confusing why I am using CB 1.2 when CB 2.0 seems to be the norm.
There is also a 1.1 which is old and a normal installation without custombuild.
CB 2.0 is not the norm yet, probably most people are still using CB 1.2 but the users of CB 2.0 are groing.
The main difference are it uses different versions of mysql en php by default and it has several new options by default now (like mod_ruid) in options.conf. Sometimes a bug is found. I don't think it will take very long before it will declared stable.

Hmm.
PHP 5.2 so you must stay on 1.2
Ironically, I have no particular reason for having whatever version(s) of PHP that are installed -- err. It's like looking at eggs to me, I didn't make any educated decision on the versions of what got installed since I relinquished that to the setup.sh defaults when I ran it.

I suppose once I actually get around to wanting to run some sort of LAMP CMS or have clients wanting to run third party stuff I'll be having software versions more into perspective due to the needs.

I might be mistaken but I think that CB 1.1 was not an option when I ran setup.sh as mentioned above.. Hence my assumption that CB 1.2 was/is essentially the defacto 'normal' install for DA these days. Perhaps it's a bit-e-ness or OS thing too.. CentOS 6.x 64-bit here, maybe CB 1.1 only 32-bit or somesuch..

Thanks for the clarifications Andrea and Richard.

It's somewhat overwhelming the multitude of software comprising the DA hosting stack. Something for the wiki-to-be :)
A nice matrix of stack software versions and which go with what etc. with relation to the CB system(s).

Back