How to create a user and give him access to the /home/admin/domains/ directory?

darkus

Verified User
I plan on making a new user who will be used for my automated backups. The idea is to have a second server login via the new user login, and download the files i want to be backedup

The problem is that no user that I create has permission to access the /home/admin/domains/...... directories

Im not very well versed with centos, and was wondering if anyone could help me give my new user access to those directories?

Thanks!!

Why not use the ftp feature on the admin level backup system. It would be way easier that way. Did you try making a symbolic link in your home folder to /home/admin/domains. You would also have to drastically change permissions for any user except the admin user to be able to access those files.

You could try this program:

http://code.google.com/p/bindfs/

Install it with: yum install bindfs

You could also try this but might have permission problems:

http://hamrotechtips.blogspot.com/2007/12/mount-folder-inside-another-folder.html

I plan on making a new user who will be used for my automated backups. The idea is to have a second server login via the new user login, and download the files i want to be backedup

The problem is that no user that I create has permission to access the /home/admin/domains/...... directories

Im not very well versed with centos, and was wondering if anyone could help me give my new user access to those directories?

Thanks!!
You can probably create an ftp user at the DirectAdmin admin login user level (if you don't have a user at that level, create one), but you will only be able to back up domains owned directly by the admin user.

Jeff

You can probably create an ftp user at the DirectAdmin admin login user level (if you don't have a user at that level, create one), but you will only be able to back up domains owned directly by the admin user.

Jeff

Will try it, but would the ftp user be able to SSH/rsync in as well?

No it would just be a virtual ftp user. To rsync or scp it has to be a system account.

Your best bet is to create a shared key to an outside server and push whatever you want out with a shell script.

Back