Assigned IP / non-working IP

plugin

Verified User
Hello guys,

I was yesterday assigning my nameservers for the first time with DirectAdmin, so i changed all nameserver settings i could find. After i added the nameservers to the Zones i wanted to request nameservers @ my domainhoster, but i didnt came that far.

I have ips:
*0 - > for websites , shared IP
*1 -> Free
*2 -> SSH

I have yesterday made my setting *1 for ns1 and *2 for ns2, today i want to login to SSH on the *2 ip, and i get 'no route to host', but apache still works on that ip. So the ip is still online and linked, but SSH doesnt work anymore. This is only after i tried to assign the nameservers to the server.

Is this a known problem, or, how do i get rid of it. SSH is the most important tool i need for every hoster i think

Last edited:
Services :
SSHd - Process stopped

and i cant start , reload or restart it. Is there any way i can check the configfile or get access to fix it?

I think DA sets ssh to respond to the ssh port on any ip address. How did you set ssh to run off only one ip address?

The only way that I know of is direct console access or have your datacenter look into it. As far as I know there is no way to do it though DirectAdmin because of good reasons ;)

nothing worked anymore, so i rebooted the box and i had luck, it came online and ssh worked again. I dont know what it was, but i know it was after the nameserver thing :)

Later today i will check again for the nameservers, i will reply if something strange happens again.

/edit:
its really easy setting it only listening on 1 ip, install a decent firewall and do only forward the SSH on 1 ip!

hardware or software firewall? Either way its working now so be happy :p

I would have said it was because sshd needed to reload the config file and the start stop for it are not working in sshd, which could be why the restart fixed it. But if you didn't modify the config, who knows might have been some other config or something.

plugin said:
its really easy setting it only listening on 1 ip, install a decent firewall and do only forward the SSH on 1 ip!
It's even easier to modify the sshd_config file; here are the instructions, snipped from the "man sshd_config command:
ListenAddress
Specifies the local addresses sshd should listen on. The follow-
ing forms may be used:

ListenAddress host|IPv4_addr|IPv6_addr
ListenAddress host|IPv4_addr:port
ListenAddress [host|IPv6_addr]:port

If port is not specified, sshd will listen on the address and all
prior Port options specified. The default is to listen on all
local addresses. Multiple ListenAddress options are permitted.
Additionally, any Port options must precede this option for non
port qualified addresses.
Jeff

Back