update version with exim_conf

Nerigal

Verified User
Hi,

i got a question about custombuild and exim_conf option...

first.. does this option is the way to install SpamBlocker.. if yes

why custombuild, from a fresh server install, install / update the version 2.1.1 of spamblocker.

even after a ./build clean then update then exim_conf

second.. does custombuild also install / update the file system_filter.exim
because it actually install the version 0.17e by default

and... in the spamblocker version 4.1 readme... we can clearly read this...

EDIT#5:
The location of the system_filter.exim file supplied by DirectAdmin.
This should work with the default entry. The file located on the
DirectAdmin website:
http://files.directadmin.com/services/system_filter.exim
is dated 03-Dec-2005 but yours may include customizations.

but the http://files.directadmin.com/services/system_filter.exim point to the old version of system_filter 0.17e

is this normal or ?

thanks

Last edited:
DirectAdmin and so the custombuild system does not use as default SpamBlocker 4.1 so is normal.

Same for system_filter, you say you got the v0.17e and both link you provided are the same version, so, where is your doubt?

Regards

DirectAdmin and so the custombuild system does not use as default SpamBlocker 4.1 so is normal.

Same for system_filter, you say you got the v0.17e and both link you provided are the same version, so, where is your doubt?

Regards

look at the quote i posted

is dated 03-Dec-2005 but yours may include customizations.

the date mention in the exim.conf is 2005... the date of the version install is 2001... or even older

ok if custombuild do not install 4.1 yet but the actual default version is the the 2.1.1 which is 5 years old...

Last edited:
DirectAdmin doesn't use SpamBlocker 4.x because there's no such thing as a default every install requires customization (at least some) to run on your server. I'm going to build a version soon which will work by default without changes, and DirectAdmin will probably decide to use that. In the meantime, the older version, supplied by DirectAdmin, while without all the features of 4.x, works well for many tens of thousands of mailboxes.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for reply.

Till now, i did once the customization (and not so many) on SB4.1 and use that as default on all server, i presume that a little standardization of SB4.1 is possible and can be used as default, than, if someone wanna customize any part would be always possible.

Regards

Replying to the last few posts:

I haven't checked the customization points in SpamBlocker 4.x in quite some time so I'm not sure of all the custopmization points, but the most important ones I remember are (1) to create a page where people can visit to whitelist false positive son the blocklists, and to change the error messages to point to them (at least they don't point to example.com as the older ones did, or even to my own page, as some of the oldest ones did). And (2) to choose your blocklists, especially taking into consideration the terms on the last three blocklists.

I will soon do some additional updates to my current test system, and then offer it to DirectAdmin staff before working on my next version. Surely you understand I'd like to always have some income from doing installs on my latest version; otherwise, with no income from it, I have no impetus to create the next version. But once I've published a version it's open source; there's nothing to stop DirectAdmin from taking it and distributing it with my blessings. Including the 4.x that's out there now.

And I suppose I should change my page to simply tell visitors to use the latest copy of exim.pl, though the copy on my download page should always work (but perhaps without the latest/greatest features).

Jeff

(1) to create a page where people can visit to whitelist false positive son the blocklists, and to change the error messages to point to them (at least they don't point to example.com as the older ones did, or even to my own page, as some of the oldest ones did). And (2) to choose your blocklists, especially taking into consideration the terms on the last three blocklists.

That's the same with SpamBlocker 2, so there is nothing special or unusual.

Of course, but I no longer maintain SpamBlocker2, so I don't control whether or not it's fixed there. I still believe it an important fix for SpamBlocker2 before installation. For SpamBlocker Version 4 it's less important, since I've included a more generic error message by default, but I still think it important to let people know how to be unblocked.

And my concern over the blocklists is very real; I find the optional ones a very important of the blocking strategy for those of us with permission to use them.

But as I wrote previously, Certainly DirectAdmin staff can use it the way it is, or with any changes they wish to make to it, and I've brought that to their attention.

Jeff

Back