Automatic User Backups: Best Practices

divinelighting

Verified User
On 2 occasions I have had issues with website databases I believe may be because of the directadmin backup process. Apparently there is a module on the website that thinks the table is missing (during backup), then it drops it altogether and tries to recreate it. Are there some recommended safeguards for sql in the DA backup process? Here is what someone had to say about my specific issue:

A check is done for each request to the store to see if the plugin is properly installed (and does not currently include a check for the "seo_cache" table). If the plugin detects something is broken, it attempts (among other things) to remove and re-install the "seo_cache" table. The only way the re-install is triggered is if the plugin settings have not been installed or accessing the database fails (intermittent connect, read, or write issues).

The "seo_cache" table can disappear if for some reason on your host the script stops running during this process (hosting issue), your user does not have permission to create tables (database permissions issue), or your database becomes unavailable during the uninstall / install process (hosting issue).

As a stop gap, you can disable removal and creation of "TABLE_SEO_CACHE" in seo.install.php. Intermittent database access issues may cause you other problems down the road - and the default settings for your plugin will be used instead of your configured ones when these are encountered. But at least the "seo_cache" table should not disappear.

You don't tell us which DirectAdmin backup you're using, but as far as I know, the Admin Level Reseller Backup, the Reseller level user backups, and the individual user level backups all create standard mysqldump command, and then use it to create a new MySql database on restore.

You can probably also save the MySql raw database files but if the mysqld daemon is running when you copy them, you may have problems which may or may not be repairable through MySql.

I don't understand your quoted material at all; it appears to be specific to a certain database created by a specific program.

Jeff

This is reseller level user backups, and the problem is really caused by an error in the 3rd party software. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything extra I should do when making backups.

Thanks.

Back