Kiss firewall

decafranky

Verified User
Hi,

I have updated MySQL, Php & PhpMyAdmin, don't know if it has anything due to it, but i'n can't start kiss anymore.

I get following error: ifconfig: command not found

I have found that commands in /sbin (where ifconfig is located) is only executible anymore via the /sbin.

I am pretty new to linux, so i think i need to create a link or am i wrong? (for all commands in the /sbin)

Need help.

Regards,

Franky

Hey,

If you're logged in as admin and don't "su -" to root you'll see that behavior...

(Notice the "-" in "su -")

I know, been there, done that and didn't get the T-shirt...

David

Hi Skref,

You have won the T-Shirt :)

I thought like Mandrake & Suse, if you "su" you were logged in as root, but seems to be "su -".

Thanks a lot, Kiss is back running.

Greetz,

Franiky

With Mandrake, SUSE, RedHat, every other linux, and every unix implementation I've ever seen going back into the 70s, su and su - both make you the superuser (root).

The difference is that su alone just changes the user you operate as, but su - will start a new shell.

And starting the new shell is what you need to do, to get root's environment variables available to you.

Jeff

Hey,

My understanding is that they both start a new shell but, the difference being, when "-" is used, is the shell that is started is a login shell which passes the environment variables when started.

"-" and "-l" and "--login" all do the same thing. If no option is given with the "-" then it defaults to "-l".

Similar to "su" with no user given will default to "root".

David

Back