Re-installing DA

Acid-Duck

Verified User
Since the topic I posted in previously wasn't approriate for support request, I dediced I'll post my problem again here. I recently tried un-installing DA by doing the following:

Removing users and groups in /etc/passwd /etc/group related to DA and the daemons it installs

Removing some files from http://www.directadmin.com/paths.html which are produced by DA.

After that I proceeded by re-installing DA. Now I'm stuck with the following message:

==============================================
Aug 21 21:56:10 gatekeeper named[6533]: /etc/named.conf:19: couldn't install keys for command channel 127.0.0.1#953: not found
Aug 21 21:56:10 gatekeeper named[6533]: /etc/named.conf:19: couldn't add command channel 127.0.0.1#953: not found
Aug 21 21:56:10 gatekeeper named[6533]: couldn't open pid file '/var/run/named/named.pid': No such file or directory
Aug 21 21:56:10 gatekeeper named[6533]: exiting (due to early fatal error)

==============================================

I tried getting named to work without luck.

Erik

Hey,

I guess a good question would be "What did you remove related to named?

Like what files, directories, if any did you remove...

And what OS are you using?

David

Regardless of what I remove, since I re-installed DA after, shouldn't it be re-installed again? My operating system is RH 9.0. If I remember correctly I had removed the username "named" from /etc/passwd, and I deleted /var/named and /etc/named.conf before I re-installed.

Erik

Hey,

Unless something has changed I don't think DA installs named.

It may change some of the files named uses but, the pre-install instructions say to have named installed before installing DA.

Take a look here at what gets installed and about half way down it says "Please ensure named (Name Daemon) is selected during the Redhat install."

http://www.directadmin.com/install.html

With what you removed with regards to named, I guess that's why you're having problems.

You'll probably have to re-install named.

David

Hey,

I had not had a look at that page before, so that sure makes a diffrence in the way I think when re-installing DirectAdmin. Although what I'd like to make you notice is that DA *does* download a file a nd save it as /etc/named.conf.

Erik

DA does install it's own named.conf, but it doesn't install BIND (the named daemon).

Jeff

Back