php 5.2 not supported

santovito

Verified User
Why in custombuild 2.0 was dropped support to php 5.2?

I wanted to update my server to custombuild 2, but I wanted to give my customers the possibility to change gradually from php 5.2 to 5.3. I've seen unfortunately I can't do and that to me is a big problem.

There are just hopes they can esistenere php 5.2 and 5.3 together with custombuild2?

Vito

PHP 5.2 is out of date at least from a year, i think your customers did had a lot of time to think about that.. i gave to my customer a month for that, after that i did upgrade, who didnt step-forward.. was having some (not so many) problems with cms not updated.

PHP 5.2 is a pretty old and insecure version, you should consider to move fast to 5.3 and inform your customer about the risk to stay on a old release.

Regards

There is no reason to run 5.2 anymore. It is extremely insecure. You need to force your customers to update their outdated software if its not compatible.

I know that php 5.2 is extremely insecure, but I have 13 servers with 300 accounts per server.

To organize a similar migration need that customers can test the site in php 5.3. With custombuild 1.2 I've successfully (in a test server) installed php 5.2 and php 5.3, but only if the php 5.2 is in cli mode. For different requirements (some accounts have a personal php.ini) I'll would have php 5.2 and 5.3 both in CGI.

This is a big problem form me

Hello,

There are several reasons for not supporting 5.2 in CB2.0.
The main reason is due to the fact that it's EOL (end-of-life) and a new major version of CB would be the appropriate time to drop support for it.
As well, there are several changes in 5.3 from 5.2 where dropping 5.2 made the coding process simpler, since we only need to check for CB2.0 and all of the changes can be assumed present.
Basically, the php-fpm DA system was written without any consideration for the older 5.2 settings.

In any case, it won't be in CB 2.0.. however, you may have luck using it normally in CB1.2, and you might be able to install 5.3 along side 5.2 by using the "php6" option.
Although this is not officially support or tested (no clue if it would actually work).. in theory, you could edit the versions.txt file and change:
Code:
php6:6.0.0-dev:d4139711596860b1dbcd4d5466fbffe2
to have
Code:
php6:5.3.19:e1bcda4f14bb39ba041297abbf18f8d1
Where we're telling CB1.2 that the current version number of php 6 is 5.3.19... which should in theory grab the 5.3 code, when you enable php6 in cgi mode in the options.conf.
You're welcome to try this.. but it's not tested or confirmed.. and wouldn't be covered by our support.
Also, the versions.txt would likely get overwritten with each update, so you might want to use chattr +i on it, so that your changes are not touched.
You might need to access php 5.3 by using php files named file.php6.. as just an example of quirks with this "hack".

John

Hello John,

thank you for your replay. I'll test it on a test server in your solution.

I do not want to keep php 5.2 on my servers, I just need a period of time with php 5.2 and 5.3 both in CGI and then move permanently to custombuild 2.0 and have only php 5.3

Thank You

Vito

Back