FTP with dedicated IP

donkeyKICK

Verified User
It used to be that if I had a dedicated IP, I could log in to FTP account with just a username. Also, annoymous used to work.

Now, for some reason, I still need [email protected] for it to work. I want the username only.

Is there a fix?

EDIT: I think it is related to multi-IP system. How to I convert back to single-IP system. Just changing the value in directadmin.conf from unified_ftp_password_file=1 to unified_ftp_password_file=0 doesn't do it.

Last edited:
I have no guide on how to do that, but at least you might want to rewrite configs manually, just check them with those on another server where they are not unified (or even try to reinstall ProFTPd). Please be aware that you are mostly on your own and do it on your own risk, if you decide to manually update the configs.

Note if want I can do that for you as a commerce service (or you might want to hire somebody else).

I suppose I could try the custombuild rewrite confs feature. I think I might just move all the users off this server and then mess with it. The default is to have this feature on though. I need to make sure it is off before I use this server. What a mess. It breaks annoymous FTP, and takes away the ability to use the short usernames. I have customers who sole reason for having dedicated IP's is that username. Without it, they have very little use for a dedicated IP.

Opps, I ran that conversion tool, and now the primary FTP accounts are missing. Man, this really messed things up for me. In the article you mentioned :http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1134 it sounds like a really painless thing, but it isn't and it causes problems. I would stay away from this until they get it working right. It certainly shouldn't be a one way trip. Now I have to figure out how to repair my users.

Anybody else with this problem, I got it to work again by editing:

/usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf
and putting the line: unified_ftp_password_file=0

then changing the IP's of the affected users from Dedicated to shared and then back to dedicated.

I had to restart both directadmin and proftp.

Last edited:
My recollection (I could be wrong) is that with a unified password file you need to use user@domain format. I could be wrong.

Jeff

That is what it appeared like to me too. I wasn't able to get the annoymous to work though. I fixed it by doing the steps in post #10. I am a bit worried about new installs because according to the help it looks like the default will be to have this on.

It certainly isn't for everybody so there should be a tool to go back and forth. I am not sure if what I did fixes everything or not, but it seems to work.

Back