Problem using mysql 5.5 on Centos 6.

Richard G

Verified User
Every time I try to update to MySQL 5.5 on Centos 6 (64-bit) this error occurs:
error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.16: cannot open shared object file. No such file or directory

I know it's discussed for libmysqlclient.so.15 here but now can I fix this now with this libmysqlclient.so.16 in Centos 6?

When I upgraded my CentOS 6.x server from MySQL 5.1.x to MySQL 5.5.x I did this:

Code:
cd /usr/lib64
ln -s libmysqlclient.so.18 libmysqlclient.so.16
ldconfig

Maybe this can help you too? (Edit: I don't think it is needed to run ldconfig, but you could do it just to be sure.)

Last edited:
Almost. When I do that, I get this error notice:

/usr/local/bin/php: /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.16: no version information available (required by /usr/local/bin/php)

Strangely enough this only happens when I do "./build update versions". Not when I do ./build mysql.
However, since I want to be able to update via custombuild, this error needs to be gone.

Fixed! I did a second time "./build php n" and this time something seemed to have changed.
The new error is gone too, so it's fixed now.

Thanks!

Have you recompiled php after upgrade of mysql? If so, is there a php directory at /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/ ? If so, delete the php directory/folder in custombuild and then recompile php again. It is just a guess. If it does not help, then I would recommend sending a email asking DirectAdmin for help. Edit: I see you have fixed the problem while I was typing my reply. Great!

Ah we just replyed at the same time.
Yes I did, but the error was still there. Now I restarted mysql, recompiled php again and now the error is gone.;)

Back