questions and problems

Chrysalis

Verified User
First of all hello to everyone here.

We decided to use direct admin as its nicely priced and supports freebsd 5.x but have some questions over some issues I have come across.

1 - At the moment I have 2 other server's without any form of control panel these host my nameserver's as well and I wanted to keep it that way but I noticed DA has dns stuff all over the place so I gather its expecting the local machine to be the nameserver for any domains used on DA, do domains used in DA have to be hosted on the local box and if not how do I go about it for hosting them elsewhere because eg. I have ftp and www pointing to the box which the user can see as well but it doesnt resolve as it isn't the real nameserver, now I know I can fix this manually but it doesnt look good if a user makes a change and there is no update.

2 - The main domain for the box is also hosted elsewhere is it a requirement that this is hosted locally also?

3 - There are no emails been sent out as such the welcome email wasnt sent out and I when I logged into webmail for admin I seen the permanent failure emails but it didnt say why it failed, would this be because currently there is no mx pointing to the server?

4 - Again on email I noticed what seems to be a flaw the box is called servernumber.mydomain.com and email from is like this [email protected] instead of [email protected]. how to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help I recieve.

Chrysalis said:
do domains used in DA have to be hosted on the local box and if not how do I go about it for hosting them elsewhere because eg. I have ftp and www pointing to the box which the user can see as well but it doesnt resolve as it isn't the real nameserver, now I know I can fix this manually but it doesnt look good if a user makes a change and there is no update.

2 - The main domain for the box is also hosted elsewhere is it a requirement that this is hosted locally also?
I'm not sure what you're asking, because "hosting" can refer to "hosting DNS", "hosting email", and "hosting the website".

Which do you mean?
3 - There are no emails been sent out as such the welcome email wasnt sent out and I when I logged into webmail for admin I seen the permanent failure emails but it didnt say why it failed, would this be because currently there is no mx pointing to the server?
Could be almost anything because you haven't told us the name of the domain and we can't look up the DNS.
4 - Again on email I noticed what seems to be a flaw the box is called servernumber.mydomain.com and email from is like this [email protected] instead of [email protected]. how to fix this?
You can change the hostname and other settings under "Administrator Settings".

Jeff

I mean just the dns, email ftp and www would be hosted on the same server and I would rather not paste the domain name on here, the www currently resolves as I have set it on my old nameservers and the page works fine. I am considering just moving the domain dns across to the server anyway so it works how it was designed and I will just use my other nameserver's as slaves, so that would just leave my email issue as to why it isnt working.

I still have no idea what question you'd like answered.

And I might as well add that as long as you're not willing to disclose the domain name there's no way any of us can use any of the tools available to us to research any problems. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you.

Jeff

the question is how do I go about configuring directadmin if I dont want to host the dns for domains on that server. Everything else like www and email will be hosted on there. The domain is hostingfreak.net although I dont see what difference that makes to my question.

thanks

Chrysalis said:
the question is how do I go about configuring directadmin if I dont want to host the dns for domains on that server.
1) Make sure the nameserver entries in your /etc/resolv.conf file point to other nameservers, and not to nameservers on your server.

2) Set the defualt nameservers for the server and resellers to nameservers hosted elsewhere. Also, for all sites already on the server, make sure the nameservers they use are NOT on your DA system.

3) Turn off DNS on the DA server.

That should work.
The domain is hostingfreak.net although I dont see what difference that makes to my question.
It doesn't, now that I understand the question.

Jeff

Back