Newbie's first steps on database

vathile

Hello World! :D

I'm a newbie searching help regarding creating a login page with some pages associate to it 8registration form, error page on invalid password and / or user name etc. I've found a set of asp files with a mdb MSAccess database associated, modified it for my needs, test it on my local IIS server, found it working and upload it to my locahost in the public_html folder, where you stay on your head but it want work even with prays :) In the first place, it looks all the same different by the 'original' that works on my server.
True, it has an dbconnection.inc file that specifies some variable strings needed for connecting asp scripts to mdb database but even modifying it in any way possible wouldn't work ... so I cry for

HEEEELP ANYONE!!!!

1) Are you a domain owner or reseller, or do you own a DA system where you have full admin and shell rights including the ability to become root?

If not, you won't be able to figure out the answers to my next questions and after reading them you might want to talk to your hosting provider's tech support department.

2) Are you aware that DirectAdmin only works on linux and unix servers? If you're hosting with DirectAdmin, then you're NOT using an IIS server, but rather an Apache server.

2) Does your server include the Apache ASP module?

3) What language is your ASP program written in? The Apache ASP module is quite limited in terms of what it can parse.

4) No linux webserver can run MSAccess. Are you trying to connect to an MSAccess database on the server? If so, that will most certainly fail.

5) Are you trying to connect to an MSAccess database on another server? While that could work, it's a complex procedure well beyond the scope of help on the DA forums.

6) Did you rewrite all the code so your ASP program is trying to connect to a MySQL database on your server? If so then what error message are you getting?

Jeff

To begin with ... thanks for you're reply!

1. To not overwhelm you with details, I'll resume to yes I am a domain owner and I have full access to all the passwords and resources provided to a domain owner (and I am reffering myself to a password that grant access to D A Control Panel and phpMyAdmin.

2. Yes, now I am. (Today I've learned about some details of how servers interpret the asp or php code found in a page / script / file hosted on the server)

3. My Server include an asp module (not sure if it is Apache, but I'm sure that it interprets the code found on my pages, because it shows me the results of those fragments of asp code)

4. Now I'm not trying anymore :D (Thanks again: you're response make me take the unbelievable step of reading some theory :) )

5. After all that .... I sure will. And in that matter I come all the way back to you, questioning ... how would I reffer in my code (I believe I'll rewrite it into php) to the database created allready in MySQL on the server (created by me through the DA)? I ask about the connection strings that finally have to include a path to the database, to be more clearer.

If all those questions are too hillarious I promise that the day after tomorrow I'll throw myself from the balcony (4th floor) and run myself back into the woods :D

In anticipation I give my thanks!

I'm glad to see you're moving along.

I believe that teaching either ASP or PHP is probably beyond the scope of this forum as well.

I can't respond to your questions about how to access the MySQL database from various programming languages; while someone else may jump in to help you, that may very well be beyond the scope of these forums as well.

For ASP questions, I'd ask on an ASP users forum; for PHP questions, I'd ask on a PHP forum.

Jeff

Back