FreeBSD Beta Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirectAdmin Sales

Administrator
Staff member
We plan to start beta testing our FreeBSD version in the next few days. If you have a clean FreeBSD 4.8 system and wish to get a free lifetime license in exchange for trying to destroy the software, please e-mail me at:

[email protected]

and ask to be put on the beta tester's list. I can't promise everyone will get to be a beta tester, especially if you don't have a system ready to go.

Please contact me if you need more information.

Mark

I should already be on the beta testing list. Do I need to send email again?

We have a BSD 4.8 ready to roll.. will the following partition work ok? Or do we need more room in /usr ?

Very interested in getting this rolling, and helping you guys get a stable release out.. can't wait! :)

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/da0s1a 1004M 52M 871M 6% /
/dev/da0s4e 5.0G 72M 4.5G 2% /home
/dev/da0s3e 2.0G 955M 900M 51% /usr

Hello,

That partition will probably work fine. Just an FYI to everyone that the mysql databases will be housed in /home/mysql .. as /home is generally the "big" partition. Apache logs are still in /var/log/httpd, but can be easily moved ahead of time with a sym link for the "domains" folder to whereever you want.

I'm just finishing up the scripts for the installer at the momment... I havn't run it yet, so it may be a few days yet. Nice to finally almost have it done :D

John

If you had several drives in a machine, let's say 4, what would be a good partition setup? I have another machine ready for beta with just one drive and 4.8, but I am curious how I would utilize a machine with multiple drives most effectively.

For example, I have a machine with the following for a normal freebsd setup (where qmail and mysql are both under /var)

1 40 GB drive for /var/qmail
2 80 GB drives RAID'd with vinum for /var/db
1 120 GB drive for everything else

Not an urgent post, I am just antsy to get this thing going so my mind is starting to spin.

Hello,

The "big" directories, (in no particular order) are:

/home
/var/log
/var/lib/mysql (will be /usr/local/mysql/data -> /home/mysql on freebsd due to people who have small var partitions, just a symlink from data to /home/mysql, you can change it)
/var/spool For mail in both ./mail and ./virtual

So, from that you can decide what will be used the most... normally just websites for disk access... I would imagin that mysql would be fairly easy on disk access and stores a lot of data in memory, and keeps the number of reads/writes to a bear minimum... so if *I* had 4 hard drives with those sizes... I might have...

2 x 80 with RAID on /home
1 x 120 for /
1 x 40 for mysql, whever it may be (/var/lib/mysql or /home/mysql)

That is really quite overkill for some things and you can customize it however you want. The only drawback I can see is wasting space because you have a 120 gig for / which normally wouldn't use more than 10 gig.. and you are limited to 80 (which is still huge) on home... but I would want the raid setup on the most active partition, ie: the one with the most read/writes.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back