Server Transfer

Pat_Coed

Verified User
Hi All,

Right then - Still a bit wet behind the ears in relation to running my own server, etc, etc so apologies if a bit of a simple or dumb question.

Basically, my host is relocating my VPS server to another datacentre which is cheaper and better to be blunt. Obviously IP addresses will change, so need to transfer all my domains/websites/emails across with the smallest amount of interruption as possible to my customers whilst maintaining data, and the best way from my perspective.

A couple of weeks back we tried to do a clone from my current server across to the new server. They cloned it over and then gave me the IP and I was away to go. Several hours later and just as the sun was coming up, it still wasnt working and due to their workload they werent able to hold my hand so I went to bed and had a tantrum with them when I rolled out of bed later in the day.

As my last experience with a server clone resulted in a complete waste of 8 hours, I asked for login ssh details for a new server and I will setup and transfer everything from scratch and transfer the domains one by one.

Having said I that, I came across the "Multi-Server" setup earlier on within DA and it got me thinking that there must be a simple way that exists to do a server transfer either by synchronizing or clustering using this option, or even by another way, or am I wrong?

I don't really mind building another server up as its educational..... but, if I can do a quick and easy way then may be worth an option as saves me time and hassle.

The first time I tried to clone across with my hosts help it all went tits up and I really didn't know what I was doing and its not really fair for me to expect them to hold my hand all the way throught it.. On one side it should be simple as its a virtual environment, so no hardware issues when cloning, but I have read some mixed reviews as to potential glitches, etc so am after advice/input/slap round the head pointing me in the best direction...

Did try doing a google, but after advice as opposed to step by step instructions so seemed best to ask. :D

I would highly suggest you to require a 30days license to DA Sales, install DA on the new server and user admin-level backup for backup all users and then send them via ftp/scp to the nw server, once done, import using aswell admin-level backup (this will actually also change the IP for each domain/user), just remember to update your dns if you arent managing them via directadmin.

Due to dns propagation, you should consider (before start) to lower the TTL to something like 5 minutes so DNS propagation will be fast.

If you dont feel to be able to handle this, me, Zeither, nobalony and other users offer those kind of services, so, if needed, feel free to pm me or whoever you would prefer for a quote.

Regards

I came across the "Multi-Server" setup earlier on within DA and it got me thinking that there must be a simple way that exists to do a server transfer either by synchronizing or clustering using this option, or even by another way, or am I wrong?
Just to clarify, the Multi-Server Setup is only for hosting DNS on multiple DirectAdmin servers. It does nothing else.

As user SeLLeRoNe points out, he, I, and others, can certainly manage this for you with as little downtime and aggravation as possible; speaking for myself, I've done this under contract many times and generally I don't miss anything.

Jeff

Many thanks for the replies both.

Daft as it sounds, I hadn't actually thought about doing a backup and restore as a means of transferring.

Understood on the Multi-Server setup too.

I'm fairly confident I can transfer them across without any glitches, but will bear in mind both of your offers.

Thanks again!

Back