Update bind/named

dmbekker

Verified User
Hey,

because a critical bug in bind/named 9.7/9.8/9.9 I want to update it.. But how can I update it? I don't see it listed in custombuild..

thx,

If you are running CentOS then you simply do it with yum:
You would indeed.... they are present for Centos 6 but the Centos 5 servers still don't have them yet in yum.:(

@Ditto: Thank you. I know how this works, I was just telling it as a statement.
I expected that they would release it in yum for Centos 6 and Centos 5 at the same time and it was already available for 6. But for 5 it will be present later today or tonight then. I think that is a bit strange.

But it is in yum, and it was released the same time for CentOS 6.x and CentOS 5.x. For CentOS 5.x it was released 28 Mar 2013 17:17:17 -0700, and for CentOS 6.x it was released 28 Mar 2013 17:20:52 -0700 - so it was actually released three minutes sooner for CentOS 5.x

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg07666.html

[CentOS-announce] CESA-2013:0690 Important CentOS 5 bind97 Update

Johnny Hughes Thu, 28 Mar 2013 17:17:17 -0700

CentOS Errata and Security Advisory 2013:0690 Important

Upstream details at : https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2013-0690.html

The following updated files have been uploaded and are currently
syncing to the mirrors
: ( sha256sum Filename )

Last edited:
But it is in yum
Yes NOW it is, not at the moment when I wrote my message. But maybe I wasn't clear enought that I ment all mirrors of Yum, not the main yum.

We got 3 servers on Centos 5, with 3 different mirrors amongst which is transip.nl and only the Leaseweb mirror has the update for bind 5 at this moment.

You don't seem to understand what was trying to say.

If both fixes are presented the same time and for Centos 5 even a bit sooner as you say. Why aren't both fixes in YUM (yum mirrors) at the same time too? Centos 6 was already present this afternoon, centos 5 is only now and not even on every mirror.
I thought when a mirror was syncing they would sync everything? Not first Centos 6 and Centos 5 later on? Or am I mistaken?

I don't really feel safe about apt-get and directadmin.. I once screwed my mysql by installing a package via apt-get, I don't want to screw something again..

An btw, apt-get says something about unmet dependencies

root@vps2:~# apt-get -f install bind9
apt-get: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libapt-pkg.so.4.10)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
bind9 : Depends: libbind9-60 (= 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze9) but 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8 is to be installed
Depends: libdns69 (= 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze9) but 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8 is to be installed
Depends: libisc62 (= 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze9) but 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8 is to be installed
Depends: libisccc60 (= 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze9) but 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8 is to be installed
Depends: libisccfg62 (= 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze9) but 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8 is to be installed
Depends: liblwres60 (= 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze9) but 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8 is to be installed
Depends: bind9utils (= 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze9) but 1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8 is to be installed
libmysqlclient16 : Depends: mysql-common (>= 5.1.66-0+squeeze1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I once screwed my mysql by installing a package via apt-get
That is because you should not update mysql via apt-get.

These packages you must not update via apt-get (it's an exclusion line we use in yum.conf):
apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftpd* exim* sendmail* php* bind-chroot* clamav*
So it's save to update bind with it. We also do it via yum (package manager for RH like systems) and no problem there.
Bind is not installed by DA so you won't have a problem.

Hiho

and how we can solve our Probs in debian :confused::confused:

9.7.3 is.squeeze

greetz

For people with CentOS 5 or 6 + DA it is easy to update.

Check if the bind rpm is installed:
Code:
rpm -qv bind

Check if the version is the same:
Code:
named -v

If it is (which is in most cases) you can safely use yum to update the package:
Code:
yum clean all
yum update bind

If it returns no errors, check again to see it's version:
Code:
named -v

That is because you should not update mysql via apt-get.

These packages you must not update via apt-get (it's an exclusion line we use in yum.conf):

So it's save to update bind with it. We also do it via yum (package manager for RH like systems) and no problem there.
Bind is not installed by DA so you won't have a problem.

OKay, but I still have the problem with unmet dependencies so I can't update..

Its not just using apt-get to update mysql that pooches it, if a module you install requires an embedded mysql you can also pooch your install. That said you likely need to update your sources.list to point to a newer version..

Back